any idea of how thick our shims are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any idea of how thick our shims are?

i went over to ford earlier today and wanted to purchase a rear-end rebuilt kit and well they sell everything separately now. no more kits according to them. so when asking for the shims, they asked how thick are mine. and i really dont know. any of you guys know? so i can get my new ones in there and get everything else new as well. nobody in town sells them so eventually ill get them on ebay unless you guys know of any good places to buy em from. the ones i find on ebay are circular with 'ears' on them, one on each side. so let me know aight guy. thanx

-im not talkin about the carrier shims, but on the actual carrier inside where the smaller gears are at

1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Are you talking about the clutch shims? You should be able to take the old ones in and compare. What sizes are available? If it's a difference in the spline count, our rears are 28 splines, not 31.

Comment

yes the clutch shims. i know they're 28. i dont want to dismantle my carrier to find out thats why i wanted to see if you guys knew. so i can go get them and just put em on.

Comment

I think that is something that you should not have to replace. But they are selective shims, so getting thicker ones will make the clutches hold more.

Comment

i was plannin on changing them out because when peelin out i see/hear the left rear tire strugglin to keep up with the right rear. so only the right rear spins like its supposed to. will changing these correct this problem. i've been told that it will, wat do you think blaze.

Comment

Tighter clutch packs make for better holding. New clutches will also help this out. But just remember, it is supposed to slip. It was not designed to hold it together all the time. The the right side is on dry clean pavemen, and the left on a little road gravel, they will not spin together. Unless you have really packed that bitch. The tighter you get, the more apprent a shuddering feeling will become in sharp turns at low speed. It's all a balance of what you want with these things. the factory style limited slip was only designed to help with one wheel spin in low traction situations, like snow and wet. It was never intended for off roading or burnouts. Though it can be made to work pretty darn good at those.

Comment

The only problem with packing it tighter is that it will also wear out very quickly. I had a one rebuilt incorrectly (really tight) and it was worn out in 1K.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The parts rep you spoke with is on crack, the traction lock rebuild kits are still available. the kits are serviced through FRPP..... http://www.performanceparts.ford.com...tKeyField=5105
                  They are also serviced through motorcraft, but I am unsure of the part #.
                  the clutches with the rounded corners are the updated or improved style, which is what you want. the older, square style would cause the tabs to break off which allowed them to spin in the case and become useless.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

i see, thats the one that ive seen on ebay several times, but wasnt sure if that would do the job. will it be a bitch to take off the S-shaped bracket holding all gears in the carrier? its on pretty damn tight, i took off the pin but its on there pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                    X