Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiccups

Dear Gurus,
    My 89 Colony Park made it to Texas (21 hours) in March and Boston (12 hours) in April. One puzzling little problem. Despite new plugs, distributor rotor and plug wires, sometimes - not always - when pulling a long hill in OD, near the top or just past it'll hiccup/miss.

I know my vacuum isn't quite right because the air blows hot under stress. Could vacuum be causing the hiccup?
    Donald McCaig

Sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. Check the "soup can" on the fender for the climate control issue. It should be holding vacuum even with the motor under full load. If you've got automatic climate control and have that switch in-line on the heater hose, check that for vacuum leaks too. Mine was sucking air on that and making the heater stuff go crazy. Mine is now disconnected and sealed off, and the heater works properly again.

Also, I'd just suggest dropping out of overdrive on long uphills, it will save your transmission. Lugging along like that causes the overdrive band to overheat and fail.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

could also be that the plug wire on #1 cyl was hanging loose and barely plugged in.........glad i saw that donald

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Mine has a slight hiccup occasionally when cruising or accelerating REAL slow. I just replaced the dist. cap, wires and plugs, and plan on re-checking all the plug wire ends to ensure that they're on properly.

One thing that I noticed, since I do a lot of night driving and my tach is lit up right in front of my face, when it hiccups, the rpms drop a few hundred as if the tach lost it's signal for a split second, and then it's all good again. I was thinking it may be the tfm on the dist, but not sure really. I have heard that these go up pretty regularly b/c of where they are.

any help, suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Comment

make sure the connection on the coil tower is not corroded and nasty, and make sure the power leads on the coil are clean. Also, be sure your tach feed isn't rubbed through anywhere as a short in that can cause it to do the same thing. You can also check to see if the wires are leaky by running the car at night and lightly misting the plug wires with water. If they start glowing, you need wires.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah go around the engine and clean up ..and out as much stuff as possible sometime that can make it easier to find the big problems.
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Working...
            X