Weird question about Transmission...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird question about Transmission...

i was driving Baby today and drove across town w/ no problems. on my way home she started acted weird. i would let off the gas and she would be revved up and also was actin like the transmission was slipping. i havent noticed any other problems w/ her like this till today. i would drive at about 60mph and would push on the gas and she would downshift, motor would rev but didnt seem like she wanted to go. was wondering if it could be a fuel filter, transmission issue, or what? especially since i would let off the gas and she would act like my foot was still on it when the cruise was off. my stepdad had a problem w/ his f150 and thought it was transmission but found out it was the fuel filter and it was not getting enuf gas. any help would be appreciated.:overkill:
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Actually, go ahead and do a tune up on the engine if it is any need of one. A fuel filter would not be a bad idea, and likely needs it anyways. The AOD is very dependant on the engine torque. So a very poorly running engine will have wierd effects on the shifting. Just the other day, a guy came to the shop where my dad works, complaing that his tranny was slipping in his Vic. And my dad did an engine tune up (to include the fuel filter) and it shifted great after that. So give it a try, it's not like it's a real wasted purchase anyways.

Comment

cap, wires and rotor look fine. i will pull the plugs and check them. if anything i think it is the fuel filter to start off and then a trans. filter kit. it acts like when you push the gas it is running on empty if you have ever had that happen its like it will rev but no go. i will try the fuel filter then a trans filter kit and then a tune up if plugs look bad. if all else fails it is the transmission. hope it is an easy prob like the fuel filter.

Comment

Check the trans fluid level. If its low, it will slip and not want to move properly.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

trans fluid level is fine. it still bothers me that she acts the way she does. i can let off the gas and she acts like i still have my foot on the pedal. i have to pop the pedal quick to kick it back so i can stop.

Comment

Toss in a bottle of TransX or similar for a week, then change the fluid and filter and see if that doesn't fix it. Might be a sticky piston in the valve body. Also be sure the TV cable is connected to the throttle correctly. 87 uses the stupid plastic bushing that fails. If the cable is unhooked, the pressure goes low and it shifts all retarded. It will also burn the trans out if not corrected.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

to make this easier to understand. when you are driving down the HWY, and you push the gas to downshift, it acts like you just dropped it in neutral and gunned it. the cable connections look fine. i also developed yet another problem today, the radiator sprung a leak at the top pass. corner.

Comment

I was just going to ask if it felt like it was going into netural...

The grommet on your TV cable is leaking. Someone has a diagram of it, but it's a $3 part at most. It WILL cause your transmission to fail if you continue to drive it like this, so I would advise fixing it ASAP and not drive the car until repaired.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
                302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
                '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
                '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Yup, either the pressure is too low from a failing/failed TV bushing, or the overdrive band is blown from the same. Could also simply be mis-adjusted causing the same issue. If its been run like that for too long, the trans might be dead, tho usually when an AOD gives, you'll have 1-2-3-nothing and second gets funky.

Comment

thats exactly what its doing. to get it to drive better i have to put it in Drive . how much does it cost to have it rebuilt?

Comment

At least 600. If you pull the tranny and bring it to the shop, you might be able to get as low as 450, maybe. A new reman is usually around $1,000 and up. Performance tranny will vary greatly. The best places are online for those, so they can vary a lot in price. Scott's guy can do it for much cheaper than the normal reman tranny.

Comment

i plan on pullin it out myself and taking it somewhere around here in the Omaha, Nebraska area. at least i know the tranny will run for as long as i have the car since i know i will be the one taking care of it. who knows how Baby was taken care of before i had her

Comment

Make sure you do some research and find a reputable tranny shop. Trannies are something that it is very common for a shop to suck at working on.

Comment

Yeah, don't try and skimp on the job. Some places do a fine job at a reasonable price, but just be careful where you shop. Make sure they're familier with Ford transmissions. Not sure why, but many places seem to do crap jobs with overdrive transmissions.

Comment

is there any other type of tranny i can put in there besides stock that is somewhat heavy duty? what other types of trannys can fit? we have an old, 78 ranchero i wonder if that could work? or if a truck or e series ford van would work?

Comment

Working...
                              X