Carb Swap q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Swap q

do i have to disconect my stock fuel pump or can i leave it and run a electic fuel pump (for carb) or regulator
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

I mentioned this in your other thread about intakes, but you have a high pressure fuel system that needs to be converted to a low pressure system to use a carb.

I dropped my tank, removed the pickup, removed the pump and replaced it with a piece of hose with the pickup filter installed. I then machined the timing cover for a mechanical fuel pump arm opening. I then installed a mechancial fuel pump and made a custom line from the existing fuel line that runs on the passenger side, over to the driver side front of the engine.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
    302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
    '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
    '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Yup.

Unless you buy one of those $100+ deadhead regulators, it would be best to do it the old fashioned way.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Your timing cover may or may not already have the boss for the fuel pump. If it does, it probably needs to be drilled out, or you can just swap the cover off a carb engine on there.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i suggest removing the stock pump, replacing it with a hose, and run an inline low(er) pressure pump with a regulator. OR leave the stock pump in place, and get a return-type regulator for $75+. mechanical pump were great... in the 60s.

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

Sure mechanical is old fashioned, but it works! It's a 10 minute job to put it on and off, versus a half-day job to drop the fuel tank, in the event a pump fails.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
            302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
            '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
            '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

No problems with my mechanical pump, either. Cheap and easy to replace, too. Plus, no wiring or relays to screw up and less demand on the electrical system.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Mechanical all teh way.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                  Your timing cover may or may not already have the boss for the fuel pump. If it does, it probably needs to be drilled out, or you can just swap the cover off a carb engine on there.
                  Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                  Mechanical all teh way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                    I've done this a time or two

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                      Sure mechanical is old fashioned, but it works! It's a 10 minute job to put it on and off, versus a half-day job to drop the fuel tank, in the event a pump fails.

My fuel pump is easy to get to.

I take my Fuel injection mechanical and my fuel pumps electric.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
                      X