No announcement yet.

carb conversion whats the best intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Edelbrock Performer is their base model, should work good with a ~stock HO type setup. I believe they say it gives power from idle to 5500 RPM or so.

The last link there is for an Edelbrock RPM, which is a little more high-end, and shifts power from something like like 2000-6000 RPM or so.

I used a Wieand dual-plane intake on my carb conversion. It's similiar to the Edelbrock Performer series.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
    302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
    '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
    '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

I run a stock aluminum mustang GT peice, and it works fine. Cheap, too.

The fifth one is a SBC intake

The edelcrock performer intake is what i'd go with.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

The Professional Products intakes are good too. The only difference between them and the edelbrocks are the injector bosses and a rear water crossover.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5
          The Professional Products intakes are good too. The only difference between them and the edelbrocks are the injector bosses and a rear water crossover.
          Aren't they made in Taiwan? :nonono:

My dad ran a Weiand 8011 on his 289 '67 Mustang. He recently converted back to the stock 4V carb and intake for show purposes, but the Weiand ran better. His motor was stock other than '68 302-4V heads, Weiand Intake, and Holley 4V.

I'd use something that had the idle-5500 rpm range for a mostly stock engine. They make the most low-end torque for the street on a mostly stock engine. Any of those in your linnks would be okay, except for the Chevy one. Even if it was for a Ford SB, you wouldn't want a single plane anyway.

I'd forgot about those factory Mustang intakes.... getting closer to my factory appearing 1982 LTD GT Project!

Are smog checks a concern where you live?
          1990 Country Squire - under restoration
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
            Aren't they made in Taiwan? :nonono:

My dad ran a Weiand 8011 on his 289 '67 Mustang. He recently converted back to the stock 4V carb and intake for show purposes, but the Weiand ran better. His motor was stock other than '68 302-4V heads, Weiand Intake, and Holley 4V.

I'd use something that had the idle-5500 rpm range for a mostly stock engine. They make the most low-end torque for the street on a mostly stock engine. Any of those in your linnks would be okay, except for the Chevy one. Even if it was for a Ford SB, you wouldn't want a single plane anyway.

I'd forgot about those factory Mustang intakes.... getting closer to my factory appearing 1982 LTD GT Project!

Are smog checks a concern where you live?
            We have not had emissions testing in Florida in 4-5 years.

Im using the Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap. It runs a little over $200 but it is a great intake. builds power from 1500RPM (Yor converter stalls around there) and up to around 6000+ Plus the raised runners help keep the intake charge cooler.
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Unless you're big on made in the usa parts, then save a few bucks and get a pro products intake. plenty of people use them

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

SMOG i dont know to tell you the truth I live in NJ and i did fail emissions because of to much carbon so is that smog
                sigpic
                1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

The carb conversion really isn't your friend if you have to pass a sniffer. I would expect emissions to only get stricter going forward...not more lienient.

Your 83 has a high pressure fuel system already if it's CFI. Why not convert to EFI, it's just as big of an undertaking. Pull the ECM, replace with an 86+ and find a wire harness to install. I'll tell you first hand that the carb conversion does seem simple, but there are a lot of small things you have to do make it work.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
                  302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
                  '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
                  '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

If you need to stay smog legal, Central50's carb will be good and you'll need either the stock Mustang 4V Intake or a Performer 5.0 w/EGR. That is if you are going to convert it to carb. You'll also need some carb tuning skills.

On second thought, those 351W HO trucks were non-catalyst and I don't think they were require to pass emissions.

Since you already have the high pressure fuel system, SEFI does sound good if you want a clean tailpipe.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

what is SEFI
                      sigpic
                      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

sequential electronic fuel injection
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

sefi = shitty electronic fuel injection. carbs = teh win. on my stock motor, im going to be using a Performer. for my new motor, ill get a Performer RPM Airgap.

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

SEFI is what '86+ 5.0's used. The one with the funky looking upper intake. Here is a pic of my '87 parts car with SEFI

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                            X