Ever think u had a intake gasket leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever think u had a intake gasket leak?

Alright, for the past month now i been adding about a gal of antifreeze to my car a week. the fluid would run out near the driverside firewall... well me figuring hey its got 127K miles on it probably needs a intakemanifold gasket well here gos nothing...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1338.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	1292358

Name:	HPIM1339.JPG
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	1292359

Name:	HPIM1340.JPG
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	1292360

What do we find, not alot of anything... not a bad lookin motor for 127K that has had its oil changed faithfully every 3k with castrol 10w30 in tha winter and 10w40 in the summer... carbon is to be expected with 127k on 87oct damn gas prices...

the problem, the stupid ass water cooled throttle body spacer to lower manifold hose....
    1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

mmmm its weird these pics excite me..

haha, could look alot worse in there thats for sure, good to know theres us rare people on earth to take care of big boxy fords.

Comment

Yeah, I have done my best to maintain the beast. 55K origonal when I took over. Only one problem, The recent early morning start up lifter tap and coolant loss led me to believe that there was an internal coolant leak at the lower manifold. Now that's obviously not the case doesnt seem to be a drop of coolant in the oiling system that I can see... so now where do we go? main bearing clearances? oil pump gears worn? oil sump pick up screen clogged? or healthly dose of luca's oil add at every oil change and start from scratch with a healthly block?
      1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

I wouldn't get too concerned about the lifter tap. Just make sure all the rockers are snug, and run 10w30 in it. As long as its got oil pressure when the engine is hot, you're fine. Lifters tend to leak down with age and rattle a bit in the cold. My truck does it, and its got great oil pressure, just has 141k on the clock.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, im really glad there wasnt an internal antifreeze leak. seriously had me worried. its sitting in the driveway right now with no upper intake and no valve covers on it, they are getting a make over. as for the egr cooling hoses they are gonna be no more hence they were my leak. now im debating whether to leave well enough alone and not pull the lower intake and re-gasket it or to say what the hell and continue... the god damn fuel line disconnets are being a stubborn pain in my ass... I brought my 65.00 master disconnect set home and they still being a pain in my ass...hopefully they will come off with ease tomorrow so i can leave the injectors and rail attached to the lower manifold... also since im doing away with the egr coolant lines imma have to get me some heater hose to i can get rid of that heater pipe on the passenger side. not to mention the bolts dont wanna turn off the studs to its gonna break anyways.

Comment

you got the intakes off, only 2 more hrs to rip off the stock heads and install a set of e7's.........i got a decent set for sale for mrdawg

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dont tempt me scott... I was so sitting there thinking that too lookin at those head bolts between the valve springs. I swear they was almost as good lookin as a tight wet teenager in a pink florecent thong!

Comment

TEAR IT DOWN!!!!!!
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I so would tear it down but u see i have just over 24hours to get it bolted back up and running again to be at work at 8am wed morning.... its my only car! not to mention if were installing heads were gonna want HEADERS! and i can just rear snap, crackle, pop ooops damn exhaust bolts and studs

Comment

I had a leak coming from the fitting on my intake manifold that I fixed last time I worked on the car. I bypassed the spacer and just ran the hose from the heater line to the fitting an re-sealed it with some teflon tape.
                    -Matt
                    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I got rid of the steel coolant line when I did my intake, talk about hard to get out - had to bend the hell out of it, and it still came out with the two studs. If you wanna bypass the EGR spacer just run a straight hose from the heater core to the water pump, and swap the intake port for a brass plug. I do like those hoses there though, they are what makes my washer fluid heater work.

Comment

aahhh... I should have asked if this is your daily driver or not. nevermind!
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Alight, shes all bolted back together, egr coolant hoses bypassed and running smooth, well wasnt at first... had cyl 5,6 crossed, but still ran good, seems to have slightly more power and smoother idle, I assume that it was due to the carbon and gum buildup in the upper and lower manifold runners... didnt set timing with a light, i assume its close since i marked the distributor before removal. im probably gonna set the timing tomorrow at work with a light at 12*btdc..... since gas is getting shittier by the day dont want any unwanted detonation

Comment

How would I know if my engine is detonating? I run at 14*BTDC and I think she's fine, but again I have a very loud exhaust so I doubt I'll hear any strange sounds a detonation may cause...

Comment

Working...
                            X