• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Clutch

The Good news:
    - ordered a brand new 'Four Seasons' FS6 AC compressor from Rock Auto
    - arrived 1/2 way across the world 6 days later
    - local Auto AC shop had no probs installing (drop in replacement)

The Bad News:
    - the clutch plate closest to the radiator seems to be misaligned and makes a metal on metal scraping sound when the AC clutch is NOT engaged. With engine off - can rotate the clutch by hand. For about 70% of the travel the plate 'scrapes' as I rotate it. (The other 30% is fine). Seems the gap is too small - and something is not 'square'.

I have never taken an AC clutch off....but before I do ... any suggestions on what might be wrong - and more importantly - is it repairable?

BTW - a warranty return Australia->USA->Australia will cost me $250 in shipping costs alone and the car will have to be off the road while I wait for a replacement. (Stupid AC shop threw away the old compressor/clutch which would have been a suitable idler wheel in this case).

Rob the Aussie
    Photos
    Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
    (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
    Engine: 302 Windsor

the car will have to be off the road while I wait for a replacement.
    Just drive the car without the belt on the compressor side, it's not going to hurt a thing.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
    302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
    '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
    '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Yep, wouldn't hurt nothin' to not run it.

Your A/C won't work while its not ooked up (obviously) but who cares, lol...
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

But - that belt drives the Mysterious Air Pump.

Don't I need that?

(302 Windsor engine)
        Rob the Aussie
        Photos

Comment

Hi Rob

Just undo the 1/2 inch (13mm) nut in the center of the clutch assembly, most of the time the clutch will now just pull off (especially a new one).

Under the clutch is some shims (washers) just add a slightly thicker washer or a very thin one to space the clutch out a little, when set correctly you should have an air gap of 0.020 - 0.035 inches (0.5 -0.9 mm).

The drive pulley is held on the compressor with a snap ring so you could just remove the clutch (also remove the key and shims) to use your car while new parts ordered, unless it is the drive pulley that is faulty.

No mystery about the air pump, it is mearly there to help reduce emissions during the warm up and under certain engine operating conditions, it serves no usefull purpose as far as the running of the engine is concerened.

Regards

Dereck
          President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Take note of what Dereck said, it is only for the emissions "when warming up". This is entirely true. And for this reason alone, if for any reason I did go back to having cats, I have an electric smog pump. Which will not run after the first 5 minutes.

Yep, just use washers to shim that pully into alignment.

Comment

Dereck,

Thanks for the good suggestions. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing here - Please see this photo.

The red line shows the gap that is too small (scraping). Is that the gap that can be shimmed?

Rob
              Rob the Aussie
              Photos

Comment

OHHHH! That is the clutch material. It will wear in very soon. As long as it is not causing the Ac comp. to run. Then ignore it and keep driving, after a few miles it should wear into place. However, I do believe that can be shimmed as well. I will look into it today.

Comment

Having the belt off the air pump for a week or two will not hurt anything.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
                  302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
                  '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
                  '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Working...
                  X