No announcement yet.

Air Conditioning is Functional!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, but how do you charge the system without the compressor turning? I really know nothing about A/C systems.
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

You put some freon in through the charge port, then with the can still connected you fire up the engine and turn the A/C on and let the LPS do its thing - compressor will cycle, at first for very short periods, but as the system fills up the LPS will leave the clutch enged for longer and longer, till tis all full.

Comment

Sounds good to me, thanks
        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

What he said. It'll start to run as you charge it. As the pressures stabilize towards where they belong, the compressor will quit cutting out.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks again, I'll give it a try. If I have a leak in one of the hoses and have to replace it, should I replace the drier too?

Comment

A friend of mine told me that once a brand-new A/C drier is unsealed, it has to be installed within two minutes or it's bad. I would imagine the same rule applies to an old one .... which in turn makes me wonder why the Ford dealer that last serviced my erstwhile A/C system didn't replace the drier ........
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Any time the system is opened up, the drier should be replaced. I'd also do a new orifice tube if you're opening things up. They're 3 bucks and often will be clogged up with crap. The driers sometimes lose their load. The dessicant bag inside breaks and all the sand goes through the system, usually gets caught in the screens on the tube. Install all new O rings on the various connections while its apart too.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Like I said I know nothing about A/C. Which one is the orifice tube? Do the O rings come in a kit? You have to use some kind of tool to get the lines apart don't you?

Comment

Yes, you need a special tool for the lines, I got a full set of those from my Murray's parts store, teflon ones too, made by Lisle or something, and they work for tranny lines as well.

Comment

the metal disconect tools are the best, but it think i paid around 120 bucks for my two sets
                      before those were introduced mac had plastic ones...they are like a clamshell....i paid like 60 bucks for that set, they work rather well
                      the lisle plastic ones are ok for the occasional user......gadgets set is here in the drawer too.....they dont take kindly to wear tho....but at 1/5 the price if you get a couple uses out of em who cares

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'd imagine they will wear out with time, but I've slipped mine over rusty lines and in frozen fittings and they barely got any scratches?! Go figure

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                          gadgets set is here in the drawer too.....they dont take kindly to wear tho....but at 1/5 the price if you get a couple uses out of em who cares
                          oh thats where they are lol

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                            Like I said I know nothing about A/C. Which one is the orifice tube? Do the O rings come in a kit? You have to use some kind of tool to get the lines apart don't you?
                            The orifice tube is inserted into the lower evaporator pipe. Evaporator is the part in the dash. Use the tool to remove the line from the evaporator and its inside there. You can use needle nose pliers to get it out of there, but there is a special tool that makes removal easier. Use a pick of some sort to get the O rings off the ends of the lines and install new ones. Use the AC oil to lightly lube the O rings before putting the line back together.

Comment

Working...
                            X