what will get me more power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what will get me more power

know i want more power but im not shore witch way to go get a new engine like 87 fordmustang engine ho with multifuelport injection and build that up or convert my existing engine to carb in the end guys what eill get me mre power
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

K.I.S.S. How much "more power" are you talking about exactly? What are you making right now? Would a rebuilt motor keep you happy? I'm thinking more cubes (351W) and convert to a carb.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

An HO EFI 5.0L motor makes more power in stock form than a carb 351 stock. Go EFI. A lot of people are afraid of EFI because of the wires, but you get more power, more efficiency, increased daily drivaility, and once you are done installing and setting it up, you won't have to tune it evey month to keep up with the changing climate. If you are specificly going for more power, but don't want to give your waggin up to the track only, then go EFI.

Comment

The EFI conversion might not be too bad with a CFI car. It would be best to have an entire parts car, however, for the conversion. It's limited with Speed Density, however, from serious power. A Mass Air Flow conversion would be in order. You might want to look into some of those aftermarket EFI kits. EFI is more of a $ hog to get it running correctly.

My carb runs fine and is a little easier to modify or fix if you know how to tune one. If it starts running rich with a carb, beat on the carb and it's probably fixed. With EFI, hook it up to a computer. Currently, my '95 Ranger (OBD-II) has a check engine light on and not even the Ford Dealership know's what wrong. "At this point, we just start replacing parts."

With a CFI car, you'll have to convert the fuel system to run a carb.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yeah like i said iwas thinking of 87-91 mustnag 5.0 with multifuel port injectong and beefin it up and thrown it in to my car find a car at a junkyard with ti in it and yank that motor trans and computer with it mainly because stock 275-300ftlb of torque
          sigpic
          1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

I think a carbed 351W motor would be easier on you.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Serious power is more $$ with EFI. You would have to go through the cost of an EFI conversion.
              Carb is simple and relatively cheap.
              It is hard to beat an Explorer motor for cheap power and plentiful engines in the boneyards

Comment

While I would usually suggest converting to carb, a CFI to EFI swap would be NICE.
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

im not doing a swap i m going to get a new motor
                  sigpic

Comment

"Swap" in a carbed 351 Windsor motor.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by N A
                      "Swap" in a carbed 351 Windsor motor.
                      Best mod i ever did to my CFI 302.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

351 with low compression pistons and twin turbos will get you some power :devil2:
                        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

will a 351 just plop in and mount with no problwm to the old engine mounts
                          sigpic

Comment

besdies gas mileage will suck balls
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes.
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X