Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Pan Gasket

Hi All,

Well, next month I'm going to drop the pan and change my tranny fluid myself!
    I have a 91 GM w/ the 5.0.

My questions are:
    1. Any particular filter maker (fram,motorcraft,NAPA,...)?
    2. What gasket should i get ? (i heard the ones that come with the filter are cheap).
    3. Does Victor Rienz make one to fit my tranny pan? Any suggestions?
    4. Finally, do i put any gasket sealer stuff on the gasket before reassembling?

Thanks,
    91gmblack

Go get a tranny filter from Advance, it comes with a rubber gasket. The trick with making the pan seat good, is beating the pan back into shape. When you get it off you will see that where the bolts were it pulled the pan out of shape a little when they were tightened. just take a ball ping hammer and hit those all back toward the bottom of the pan.

There is no need, and I don't even know if there are, special filters for the tranny. Any AOD filter will work fine. Basicaly, it doesn't have to filter anything untill something goes wrong with the tranny then it filters the metal pieces and chucks of stuff.

Comment

Question #4: Hell No!!!!!! Never use sealer on the pan gasket. It's not necessary, and only causes headaches down the line when you change the fluid again.

Comment

More importantly, gasket sealer or any kind of solidifying stuff will screw your valve body up. Use some vaseline to hold the gaskets in place while you bolt the filter up, and the same for the pan. Vaseline will just desolve in the tranny fluid and will have no effect on the tranny.

Comment

Another trick on the pan gasket (particularly if its all folded up and won't lay flat) is to tie it to the pan in several places with a loop of sewing thread. Hold it to the case and get all the screws started; then, before you do the final round of tightening, simply snip the threads and pull them out.
          GaryM

Comment

Originally posted by GaryM
            Another trick on the pan gasket (particularly if its all folded up and won't lay flat) is to tie it to the pan in several places with a loop of sewing thread. Hold it to the case and get all the screws started; then, before you do the final round of tightening, simply snip the threads and pull them out.
            Thats a good trick!
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

whatever you do, dont over tighten the bolts. especially if your pan has the lil rib that pinches the gasket. youll cut the gasket in half and itll leak.

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

Get a rubber gasket ang this is not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                X