Air pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air pump

On my CV HO conversion i would like to get rid of air pump. Emissions standards are weak at best in my state. Any helpfull info would be greatly appreciated.

If you're in a hurry just remove the pump, all its hoses, plug the vacuum lines for the diverter valves, and that should be pretty much it. If you wanna do it the right way you take off the air pipes to the cats and block the holes in the cats, if the HO heads have the air pipe in the back of the engine remove that one too and block the ports in the heads, and last but not least either pull the old vacuum lines off the main tree at the solenoids and cap the tree's ports, or compeletely redo your vacuum system. The belt you need to bypass the smog pump but still run the A/C is K560 IIRC.

Comment

To give warning tho, I did have a problem when my ac would be on as my belt would work its way back. I plan on installing the eliminator pulley when its all said and done.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

The belt works its way back? Does that mean it falls off the pulleys?

Comment

Thats what mine did, but only when the ac compressor would kick on.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Fomoco! Glad to see you made it! It's always nice to see when people actually listen to me when I tell them about how great the guys are here.

How's the swap coming along? Did the information I provided help you any?
            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

p71towny, that's kinda strange - maybe you didn't set the tension properly? I had the poly-V belt run on a misaligned smooth-back pulley for some time, but it never came off.

Comment

Is there a noticeable difference if you don't run the smog pump?
                Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
                2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
                Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
                Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Assuming your smog pump is in good working condition the drag it creates on the engine isn't that noticeble, at least in my case it doesn't matter if it's there or not. Removing it may free like 1-2hp, but it mostly allows you to clear up that mess of hoses and valves that is completely irrelevant to the proper operation of your engine and is also aesthetically unpleasing. Most people here seem to drop the smog systems cause the pump has seized or is about to seize, and also cause it makes for easier access to sparkplugs and suspension components. I have had my engine without the air pump, then with the pump connected to nothing, and now with the pump blowing air through the A/C system - there hasn't been any difference in mileage or performance. I only run the smog pump cause everyone else hates it, thus it makes my car different from your common Panther

Comment

I've had one of those air pumps apart once, ball bearings in teh front and needle bearings in teh back, it's all low friction. The only thing that really provides any resistance is the air vane inside.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I noticed quite the difference when I disabled mine. And no, it wasn't about to sieze up or anything.
                      Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

As was mentioned in another thread.. Don't run cats without an air pump.

Comment

I thought the cats were pumped with air for just a short time on startup only.
                          Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

Originally posted by Roach III
                            I thought the cats were pumped with air for just a short time on startup only.

Air is injected during warm running as you are cruising down the road as this is when you most need it. It is dumped to the atmosphere during warm idle so that the converter doesn't overheat.

Comment

The reason I dislike the smog pump is 1.) small draw of horsepower and 2.) That noise it makes. It just makes a good engine sound like a smogged out hunk of junk when ever the rpms increase.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X