Guys my esxhuast smells like rotten eggs and i got a wierd smoke but i dont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys my esxhuast smells like rotten eggs and i got a wierd smoke but i dont

know where from i think its the car what could it mean if it is coming from the exhuast
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

bad cats....cat could be over heating and melting stuff under the car. I clogged my stock ones and melted all the undercoating off a few cars...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yup, bad cats fo sho.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Cataytics are bad, and you should replace the 02 sensors while your at it also.

I have a catted mustang h-pipe that I might be selling if you plan on upgrading to a larger exhaust.
        Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
        2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
        Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
        Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Rotten Eggs = Sulfur, which could be coming from the type of gas you use.
          1990 Country Squire - under restoration
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
            Rotten Eggs = Sulfur, which could be coming from the type of gas you use.
            Rotten Eggs = hydrogen sulfide. Yes, there is sulfur in fuel additives, but not enough to cause a smell with completely burned fuel although some brands may be more sensitive than others. An overly rich mixture can cause a buildup in your converter and give you the smell. An engine running extra lean can also cause a problem. When running lean, sulfur trioxide is produced, then when the motor goes rich when under load like going up a hill, the sulfur trioxide is converted to hydrogen sulfide. Some cars smell when warming up in cold weather but the smell goes away once the motor warms up. If the converter is building up, a good hot highway blast should take care of it. When a converter is failing and plugging, no amount of hot running will cure it.

Comment

Are you sure the other kinda cat didn't get stuck under there?
              2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

guys its a brand new exhuast system built by midas
                sigpic
                1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

The sulfer smell is normal.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 83countrysquire
                    guys its a brand new exhuast system built by midas

Just for fun, Midas put new cats on?

Comment

yes they did b/c when i sent it there it had only headers on it and the bufflers and h pipe to build with
                      sigpic

Comment

What does Midas say about your wierd smoke and smell?
                        If you bring your car to an emmissions testing station or to a shop that has a tail pipe sniffer, they can tell you if your fuel/air mixture is not right.

Comment

Midas will probably say that the new cats just need broken in or something like that. I've never heard of breaking in new cats, but anything is possible I guess.
                          Did the reattach the air tubes from the smog system? If they didn't, the reaction occuring in the converters might not be reacting to it's fullest extent due to the lack of oxygen. A sniffer test would tell you if the reaction wasn't going on to it's fullest.
                          The smell still exists after a long highway run? Try putting some fresh gas in of a good brand name, different from what you normally use.
                          1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

well they didnt hoook up those vaccum lines b/c they were rusted out but should i hook them up
                            sigpic

Comment

They aren't vacuum lines, teh air pump pumps fresh air into the cats via those tubes. I'd hook them back up, might as well use the new cats to their fullest.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X