This car annoys me sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This car annoys me sometimes

So I'm in Indiana finally. Car is running really strong and smooth but something isn't quite right. If I'm cruising at 70-75 its getting like 14 mpg. Temp is running a steady 200 degrees with a 195 t-stat, and it pings. Timing is at 10 BTDC. If I run 65 I get like 17 mpg. I really suspect the speedo is off tho so the exact fuel economy is slightly unknown here. It just seems to be running a bit warmer than expected, and this thing has never ever pinged before. Its done it on several brands of fuel so it wasn't just a bad tank. When I had a 180 tstat, it ran about 160-180 degrees. This 195 puts me at a solid 200 on the mechanical guage, and over at the L on the in-dash guage. Oddly tho, the in-dash one started reading perfectly center scale somewhere in mid-state Ohio while the mechanical stayed at 200. I'm gonna pop a few plugs here to see whats going on but any suggestions? Fuel pressure is also at 38 PSI with the vac line unhooked. Is it perhaps running a little on the lean side causing the higher temp? It was running that temperature with the pressure at 42 psi and the fuel economy was about the same then too. My other thought is the shit exhaust with 148k mile cats causing excessive backpressure making it run hot and work harder. The exhaust was supposed to have been done before this trip but the parts didn't show up in time. Shi*t happens.

On the plus side, after a round trip to South Carolina, a trip to Skippyville, and now to Bloomington, I've only used about a half quart of oil in roughly 3000 miles. Its running smooth as glass and has great power. Passing people needs no effort and the few times I stepped down on the throttle to get by clusterfucks of retards (holy shit people in Ohio can't drive) the speedo cranked right up and I was gone. It also drives fbeautifully with a proper alignment. No drift, no dartiness, no pull, just decent feedback on the wheel and extremely responsive steering. I'm very pleased with this steering gear upgrade and I do reccomend it to anyone who wants better steering. The ride with these new springs is a bit stiffer but its not harsh. I do need to have the driver's side seats re-padded tho. The lower back support is just about gone and the foam under my ass is getting pretty flat. I shuffled it around so the pillow tops aren't screwed looking anymore but its still beat. Maybe I'll gut a passenger side seat in the yard sometime and use it's foam on my side.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Pulled a plug from each side. They're both white. Set the fuel pressure up to 40 psi with the vac line unhooked. Not sure if I have a leak somewhere or not. I'm getting about 15 inches of steady vacuum with the engine idling cold. It usually runs about 16 inches warm. I also found and fixed a tiny coolant leak. The temp sensor for the in-dash guage was seeping a little bit.
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gonna swing up north at all?
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Unhooking the vac line to the fuel regulator will not help performance. It will actually cause cylinder wash out wich will wear it out faster. If yours is adjustable IIRC, hook the vac line back up and adjust it to run a little more rich.

Comment

Minimum Vaccum at idle for an HO/SD should be 17 inches, 18-19 inches is optimal.
          If you have 15-16 inches, there is a leak somewhere.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Easy fix for the seats, depending on the issues is cardboard and polyfill. In my old car the metal cables on the seat bottom had cut through the foam. I put a pice of cardboard between them and that fixed seat bottom, for the seatback I stuffed it with polyfill to give me the lumbar support I needed..
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
              Unhooking the vac line to the fuel regulator will not help performance. It will actually cause cylinder wash out wich will wear it out faster. If yours is adjustable IIRC, hook the vac line back up and adjust it to run a little more rich.
              I'm not running with it unhooked, I set the pressure with it unhooked and re-connected it.

About the only possible source remaining for a vac leak is either the vac tree itself, the cruise servo, or the brake booster. I think the booster holds vacuum OK but it is original. I suppose there is also the possibility that the evap purge solenoid or canister is not working properly. I noticed that suddenly it seems to be idling higher than normal so probably something let go or started leaking worse. I doubt its new as I've always held about 16" of vacuum. I guess I'll have to get out the needlenose pliers and start pinching off lines till I get a change on the vac guage. I have no real ability to fix it here so hopefully its not something major. If it is the booster, I'm gonna toss it for a late style booster and master cylinder since they're a bit smaller and I've seen a fair bit of poor luck with the stock type replacement boosters. The MC is also 20 years old so it will get replaced with the booster just because it would be silly not to.

p71Towny: I'm actually in Chicago now. The Bloomington stop was an overnight visit with friends. Got here around 2:30 am local time monday morning after a nice blast up I65.

MrLTD: thanks for the suggestion. The wires are cutting into the foam so I'll see about locating a piece of cardboard to stuff in there before I go home.
              Last edited by gadget73; 03-13-2006, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Thain if you ever make it down Florida way, ill fix your seats, Goes for any others on here.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Well its not the booster, or anything else thats connected via a vacuum hose. I pinched them all off one by one and the needle never moved. I pinched the main feed from the upper intake to the vac tree off instead of trying to get in to each hose. I also pinched off the MAP line, FPR line and the purge solenoid vent line. So either there is a leak at the vac tree's thread connection, which I really doubt, an intake gasket leak which I also doubt, or some internal leakage. I used sealer on the threads for the vac tree, the hoses are all secured down with zip ties that I pulled tight with pliers too. I'm actually just about as inclined to suspect the guage is not completely accurate as anything else. This engine ran 16" when I put it together, and it still runs that way, so essentially nothing has changed in spite of new parts and lines. I guess I'll have to break down and get another guage to use to check it against mine. I didn't have the chance to pop a plug to see if it stopped burning white after the fuel pressure tweak but I'll do that tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X