mystery wire - '87 Cougar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mystery wire - '87 Cougar

Changed oil on the Cougar today and found a mystery wire. Need help identifying it. It starts here:

And comes out underneath, here:

Couldn't find any location for it to connect to. I'm quite confused. Anyone know what it is for or where it should hook up to?

body ground?

Comment

Because that is your starter solenoid it looks like a starter cable, but if it were, it would be alot longer and end up underneath and on the passenger side of the engine.

Comment

An old starter wire that they forgot to take off ??
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Is the wire braided? I think I can see some of the wire past the connector, looks like it's not copper, so it leads me to believe it's a grounding wire
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Here's a closer look.

Comment

hmmm

Seems like a grounding strap, but if it's going to the solonoid there, I don't know hmmmm
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Its the only proof of the HO that once resided in your car when she was new.

Comment

can you give more detail about where it starts?
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

There are two points sticking out below the red plug. You can see this wire is connected to the left hand point and runs down the fender and comes out below the oil filter next to the lower radiator hose.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
                      Its the only proof of the HO that once resided in your car when she was new.
                      I thought these Cougars weren't offered with H.O.'s.

Comment

Damnit, I was thinking this was SU for some reason, even though the title clearly states....

Comment

If in doubt, tape it off. If it runs from the starter side of the solenoid, its almost certainly an abandoned starter power cable. If its off the battery side, then no idea. If everything works, I'd tape it off, or just remove the thing.

And the Coogie was not offered with an HO till like 93 or something.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                          X