building up a 351 Cleveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building up a 351 Cleveland

One of my buddies has that beast, a '70 or '71 small-block Cleveland with some ridiculously huge heads (4V code), valves are big enought to swallow a tennis ball. He wants to build the thing up and team it with a 5-speed stick, but he has some questions:

1. this Cleveland's main bolts are pretty fat but still only two per bearing, does anyone make a main girdle for 2-bolt blocks?

2. is there an air intake that will allow use of EFI and that will bolt to those early '70s 4V heads? Also what cam + ECM combo will be good for that engine? We want to run fuel injection cause pretty much everyone and their mother uses carbs, plus there is also the learning and gaining experience factor.

3. What is a good software that has the ability to completely reprogram ECMs? Price is not such an issue as it will be split between several people, but the software needs to work with both FoMoCo and GM engines, probably even DCX ones.

As of right now it's completely unknown what vehicle that motor is going into, there is possibility of a '95 Stang but nothing is certain until the car is parked in my buddy's dad's garage

:bump:

A Buddy of mine offered a 351C block to me for $25. Looks to be in order. No heads or anything.
    Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

Im looking to build a 4V quench Cleveland myself...

With a 5 speed.. My idea!!!!
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You do not need to reinforce the webbing on a Cleveland unless you are going to spin it. You do however have to worry about oiling and thin cylinder walls. It is $247 for an adapter to put an EFI 351W lower on a Cleveland block with Cleveland 4V heads. The other option is to use a carb intake converted to EFI.
        A FAST (Speed Pro) system is one of the excellent options to support any combo you can come up with.

Comment

Mercracer, than you for your input. We already know about the oiling issues, and my buddy has already researched about the whole plug-and-redirect deal. What about the cylinder walls though, how much overbore can they handle? My buddy wants to get it to more than 8000rpms and make the most power up high, is that what you refer to "spinning"? As for converting a carbed intake to fit EFI, how does one go for that - I assume some welding is required for the bungs where the injectors would go in, correct?

Comment

You need to sonic check the bores. Sometimes only .030 is too much. If you are going to turn it 8000RPM+, then you need to O-ring the heads, get a forged rotating assy, probably fill the block, and definitely do the oiling mods.
            The Super Victor EFI 351W intake Part number 29245 (29246 with the rails) and the Price Motorsport intake adapter to the 351C 4V heads is what you want. Add a throttle body elbow and you are in business.

Comment

I've never understood "filling" the block.

Doesn't that remove all cooling properties??

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT

you loose some surface area to cool with. Usually is reserved for drag motors. A guy i know is running a 414W with the block Half-filled. Car has about 12 passes and 10 street miles. 600+HP to the wheels without the spray, AFAIK he has no cooling problems.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

But if you plan on cruising the car at ALL...

You really need to not do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT

Most of your heat is in your heads and pistons, not in the lower 1/2 of your cylinders.

Comment

Mercracer, seems like plans are changing - the 4V heads are going to be used, but because of all the issues with the Cleveland block my buddy's currently debating whether to bolt them to a 351W or a 302HO block. Clearly there are some mods that need to be done to the heads for that swap, but he claims it's doable... If he goes the Mustang way I'd assume the SuperVictor intake you suggested won't work cause of the different deck heights of the blocks, correct?

Comment

You'd need either a factory Boss 302 type intake, or a special clevor intake for a 351. There is also some mod work to the top of the block you have to do for cooling passages. I seem to recall Mercracer posting info on the conversion a few months back.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

351 Cleveland heads to a 351 Windsor block Looking for B&A Ford?? I received an email from a guy not too long ago with a whole bunch of old articles and information on the swap along with some B&A brochures and price sheets. I gave the phone numbers on them a call and spoke to a nice guy that, as far as I can tell, is what used to be B&A Ford Performance. He is still casting the parts, but does not deal directly to the public. He gave me the number for Bush Performance (located in Michigan), the main…

Comment

There are almost always 400M motors at the junkyard. would those heads be worth a damn?

Comment

Price motorsports sell the adapter to put any 302 intake on a 302 with the clevland/modified heads. Im sure they have the 351 ones too. As far as I understand get the 2 barrel heads for a street motor or and application where you want low end torque. The true boss motors use for barrel heads and they flow awesome at high rpm but you lose all your low end power.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                              X