EGR prob FIXED, now coolant leak emerges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR prob FIXED, now coolant leak emerges

I put on the proper EGR gaskets and sure enough it ran fine. I got it inspected and it passed with flying colors. Then it overheated a bit running up around 215 then back down to 210 so I stopped it. It leaked a tiny pool under the thermostat housing (not sure if its the intake coolant port or a hose yet) and it leaked another tiny pool in the crevice where the timing cover meets the block and the coolant port is. It bubbled out after I turned the engine off. I added a gallon of 50/50 coolant and drove it around the block for about 15 minutes and it ran at 190 the whole way, and it didn't leak anymore out of the timing cover, and just a few drops came out under the thermostat housing. Any ideas how to seal those two places up REALLY REALLY GOOD?!?! I'm sick of these coolant leaks. OH and BTW its NOT burning any coolant, which is good.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Damn dude, hard to follow your explanation...

Got pics?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

yeah ill get some up later, I think im gonna go in there and JB welb up a storm
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

check all the hoses in the front (radiator hose, bypass hoses and heater hoses), make sure there are no pin holes. make sure the hose clamps are tight, but not tight enough to have damaged the hoses.
        also check the CTS, make sure its not leaking.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

somehow its not leaking anymore, hmm. Drove it for 30 mins not a drop to be seen. it is trickling out of the CTS though.

Comment

Hows it run? Strong?
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

yeah runs real strong, although im not pushing it for a while so all the seals and stuff bond good, but the pickup is great. It vibrates a little when you give it gas and the RPMS are really low, other than that nothing even remotely wierd going on.

Comment

oh yeah it also passed inspection today, and it didn't have to go through a emissions test!!! NC threw away their test for 1995 and older vehicles!!

Comment

Good deal. Might be leaking out of the thermostat housing. They can be a little tricky to get installed right. Just use some black RTV. The CTS you should be fine with like one layer of that teflon pipe tape stuff. Just don't wrap a bunch on there or it won't thread in. 1-2 wraps is all you need. I'd also be sure about the condition of those hoses and clams. Factory clamps aren't all that great, so it might not be a bad idea to replace them with new.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X