8.8 side gear swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.8 side gear swap...

Does anyone know whether it's possible to swap the side gears in an 8.8 carrier to use a 31-spline carrier with 28-spline axles? It seems like it'd be a direct swap, but I suppose things could go awry.
    My searching only provides ring and pinion swap articles and how to "Build the best Cherokee".

So... anyone know or have an educated guess on whether this would work?
    The 31-spline has traclock; the 28-spline was open.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Why would you swap around used parts in a diff in the first place? Before you have to worry about a 31 spline diff, you need to have 31 spline axles. Since factory TC axles can not be used in a factory CV/GM housing because of the larger wheel bearing size you would be either using a TC housing which already has a 31 spline diff or you would be using aftermarket axles. If you need 31 spline axles, you should be using a good diff. and not a cobbled together factory diff.

Comment

What are you talking about?
      Maybe I wasn't clear enough...

I have a carrier from a 31-spline F150. I'm wondering whether I can put the side gears from my 28-spline carrier onto the F150 carrier. I've basically decided that when I pull the axle and haul it to where we're doing the gear swap, we'll swap the side gears and see if it works.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Actually I'm pretty sure TownCar axles are 28 spline as well, so they would do no good for a 31 spline swap. The rear is also the same width, and to my knowlege should actually be an identical unit to the CV/GM one. I could be wrong on this, however. You might want to look into a limo rear. Its rumoured that some are 31 spline custom modded truck rears. In either case, if you can locate a pre-1998 limo, the rear suspension is the same as your wagon, and the whole unit should pop right in place of your existing axle.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The Limo rear is what I was referring to. I generalize since Limos are TC's.

Comment

Not nececeraily, I've seen Limo GMs and VCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
              Not nececeraily, I've seen Limo GMs and VCs.
              It may not be "nececeraily" true as there are exceptions to the rule and people cam make a Limo out of damned near anything, but like I said, I was speaking generally..........

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                What are you talking about?
                Maybe I wasn't clear enough...

I have a carrier from a 31-spline F150. I'm wondering whether I can put the side gears from my 28-spline carrier onto the F150 carrier. I've basically decided that when I pull the axle and haul it to where we're doing the gear swap, we'll swap the side gears and see if it works.

If what you call "side gears" is what i think, then they would have to be 31 spline since the gears themself are what the axels mate too.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I wanted to use the originally 31-spline carrier in my 28-spline housing. I believed it would work swapping the side gears, but research tells me the traction lock side gears have teeth on the back side, which is what the clutches/metals grab. Open carrier side gears don't have those teeth.
                  So, I'm gonna eBay the 31-spline carrier assembly and try to score a 28-spline traction lock carrier.

Comment

Working...
                  X