Using the gt-40 cam for ho conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrltd
    The .500 is a guidline. It's a good idea to check the P/V clearance...

The specs on the TFS cam... 275/279 499/510

Run the specs on my cam 264/270 512/512 with a 114 lobe separation...it's a small cam.

My cam is similar but it is a split duration cam with 484/512 lift, with the 1.7 rockers it is more 512/522

I agree with what everyone else is saying about hitting the power band. Mine picks up around 1500, hits harder at 2k and pulls hard all the way to 5k (the trans shifts around 5K)
    Last edited by DuceAnAHalf; 01-27-2006, 10:47 PM.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

For stock lopo heads and intake, and explorer cam would work well, because it makes the power and torque down low, which is where the lopo components perform best. For my car, I wan to use an HO ECM, Explorer cam, full dual exhaust with FRPP headers, and a 60mm TB, with stock heads and a stock intake. The intake doesn't really flow much past about 4500 rpm, and that's about where the cam runs out of power, so the combo should work well from roughly idle to there. For better flowing heads and intakes, use a more agressive cam that puts the powerband higheer, if that's what you're looking for, as that's where the heads and intake make their power.
      Nick
      88 Colony Park LS
      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Been playin' around with the Engine Analyzer Program. Here is the results/comparison between a LoPo cam and an Explorer cam:

The following parameters were loaded into the program:
        Stock E7TE heads
        Stock Mustang intake manifold
        Stock Mustang shorty headers
        LoPo cam profile
        Explorer cam profile

You can guess which curve is which . . . .

End result: Torque where I want it!!!!!

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

damn, that is what I'm looking for off idle! Can you throw a curve for the HO cam for comparison?
          1991 GM GS sedan "Love Boat" HO converted, Holley adjustable fpr, 3.27 Trac-lok - RIP
          1991 Colony Park LS "Wally World Express" HO, 3.27 trac-lok - RIP
          1988 grand marquis ls "grey ghoul" - RIP 1992 gm ls "superbeater"- sold 1993 F350 dually 7.3 IDI crew cab flatbed "killer" - RIP
          1994.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab Flatbed, Powerstroke 7.3 "overkill" - Alive and kicking
          1987 Lincoln Town Car "El Presidente" - Resting for winter, gonna be a beast!
          2008 Mustang, no name - belongs to the wifey

Comment

I just looked at it.

The HO and the Explorer cam are within 5 ft-lb pretty much everywhere. The Explorer generally has a slight edge down low, and then gives up a little up high - but the curves follow one another pretty closely.

When I overlayed to two, there were just too close together for the scale that I used to be separetely read/interpreted.

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

Working...
            X