X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent tranny help

Anyone know how to get this shaft out? Did as much as I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the whole valve body have to come down?

Comment

I did not drop the valve body when I swapped mine. The large nut (blue one in the pic) has to be unscrewed, iirc.
      It's been a couple years since I've done this. I'll see if I can find the thread where I explained what I did...

Edit: here it is.

Edit: Also, the video johnunit posted in that thread looks very helpful.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Did you remove the press pin (don't know the exact name). Once that is removed you can start moving it outwards. You may need some leverage is you removed the press pin and it is still stuck. Just don't put anything on the valvebody for leverage.
        1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
        sigpic

Comment

I got it out, had to take the valve body out to get enough room and push it out, now just gotta find a new one because ford doesn't make them anymore

Comment

What does everyone use for the replacement?

Comment

I might have one from my 92 grand marquis aod. I can let you know. But how did yours break?
              1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
              Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
              Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
              sigpic

Comment

Its a roll pin, nothing special there.

Pull the roll pin, undo the nut, the lever comes right out. Don't need to mess with the valve body. If you have already, you will need new valve body gaskets and an inch-pound torque wrench to properly re-install it. It absolutely must be torqued correctly with new gaskets or its not going to work right.

The levers are different depending on application. Column shift rod vs column shift cable do not interchange, and floor shift doesn't fit either. You need one from something with the same type linkage you already have.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The gasket seemed fine I put back in, didn't torque it tho

Comment

Working...
                  X