Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange fuel filter retaining clip, can't find a replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orange fuel filter retaining clip, can't find a replacement.

I changed my fuel filter earlier and on the outlet side, the line is held on by some pain in the ass orange clip that is now in 4 pieces. I can't find a replacement locally, apparently they are somewhat hard to find. Does anyone know where I can find one of these illusive things? I need to have access to a drivable car asap.

the retaining clips should come with the filter. Dorman 800023
    This would be for a fuel injected car, box or aero... not sure if the whales have quick connects or not.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah the new filter came with the different style/green clips with the locking tabs which worked on the inlet side but the outlet side is different.

Comment

What year is your car? IIRC, I read something about later whales having different connectors for inlet and outlet, and people breaking the newer connector because they don't realize it's supposed to be pushed in rather than pulled out.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

91 Grand Marquis.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Comment

Need a pic. My 90 uses the two white (or yellowed) clips that the fuel pump comes with. You can also rig that setup with some thin wire in a pinch.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I wonder why the hell one side of mine has a completely different clip. I don't see any evidence of that line ever being replaced. I can't really get a good pic of the clip because it broke into several pieces. I'm about ready to just cut the connector off and put a different 5/16" quick connect on and call it done.

Comment

Dorman 800-050, repair kit for Rangers and F series trucks. Fuel filters are almost identical as to what is on my GM. Only thing available locally so I'm going to try my luck with that.

Comment

hm, that doesn't look at all like what I've seen on boxes.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My bad, that's not what was actually on there, just the kit I'm going to try and use. It's the same size so I'm hoping it works. The one on there now is a black connector that was held in place by an orange clip that apparently nobody has.

Comment

Here's the clip in question. There's a little bit missing from the top left and bottom right but I think you'll get the idea.

Comment

Hey guys just a heads up, I went ahead and cut the quick connector off and put on a 5/16" GM style pinch connector instead. Fits perfectly. Not gonna drive myself crazy over this one random clip haha. Thanks to everyone who posted!

Comment

someone put quick connects on a box? Those are the type you just squeeze and the filter pops loose. Those didn't even start being used in fords until the 2000s I think. And mainly on other vehicles.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by billfrank85 View Post
                            Hey guys just a heads up, I went ahead and cut the quick connector off and put on a 5/16" GM style pinch connector instead. Fits perfectly. Not gonna drive myself crazy over this one random clip haha. Thanks to everyone who posted!
                            Take a picture of what you cut off (the connector/coupler itself, not just the clip) and what you replaced it with. I still have no fawkin clue what you were dealing with there, and I played some with a '91 not that long ago and don't recall anything too odd about it...
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Yeah, I've never seen anything like that orange clip near a box fuel filter. Clips for the fuel filter on both of my '91s are the same as on my '89 and I assume it's the same setup on older boxes as well.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X