Tips/advice on replacing lifters pretty please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips/advice on replacing lifters pretty please

The 85 has always had a lifter-tick/tap sounding noise that I used to be able to engine-flush away and would stay quiet first for every 3rd oil change, then every two, one, and gradually to present day when I can't get rid of it at all and feel bad driving it, it's getting loud (in my ears anyway).
    This is what makes me think it's a lifter, so I got a set and some push-rods. I have a set of heads I can rob a rocker or its pedestal? from if I need any.
    It has an 86 block in it, so I am working with roller lifters if it makes a difference.
    Would you think a block sent off to the local re-builder would have gotten new lifters? You would think so... but I'm not betting on it. It most likely got the old push-rods put back in. (it's a long story, and was not in my hands at the time)

If I find an obviously clogged push-rod, is there a way to check for a collapsed lifter? Or should I just replace them since I'll have the intake off anyway?

As I've gathered, you just remove the rocker arms, push-rods, and rotate the engine over enough to poke the lifters out enough to grab them?

Any tips would be appreciated, this is a first for me. That "make sure you do/don't" info is what I need. Tell me your secrets!
    Like how many times I should turn the engine over to fill the lifters before firing it up ... should I just keep turning until I see oil come up to each rocker?
    Do I need assembly lube or just a smothering of oil?

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

you should be able to measure preload on the lifters to determine if any are collapsed. One that doesnt pump up will not have any preload. Have to do that at TDC on each cylinder, in firing sequence though. If you do find a bad one, honestly I'd change the whole set. they aren't tremendously expensive.

You can cheat and just prime the engine with a drill rather than cranking it. Its more effective anyway. If you've got an old distributor, remove the and drop that in place of your operational distributor. Spin it with a drill until oil is pumping steady out of the pushrods and its good to go. If it won't make oil pressure, check the direction of the drill. I would also dip the lifters in oil before assembly, just to get a good coating of lube on everything.

It would be worth checking for bent pushrods too. Just roll them on a flat surface and look for wobble.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X