Code 34 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code 34 Issue

I have an issue with code 34 and code 31. I bought a scanner and it popped up so i went and bought a new one. Still comes up with the new one installed. 2 of the 3 bolts broke trying to take them out so i just have it held in with the one good one. I cleaned the EGR the other day and it didnt make a difference either. Any thoughts?
    2018 F150 XLT 43k
    1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
    1968 Buick Riviera

what did you try to replace exactly, the sensor? It won't work correctly without all of the bolts holding it in. Its a vacuum seal, and its probably leaking. Most likely you need a replacement EGR valve.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The position sensor. If i need to drill out the old screws and put new ones in i will.
      2018 F150 XLT 43k
      1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

I believe they are studs, not screws. If they're broken off, replacing the valve would be your best bet. There isn't really enough material to tap for a screw, and it wouldn't be airtight anyway.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

mine has bolts not studs. factory egr valve still.
          2018 F150 XLT 43k
          1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

well if they are bolts and you can get them replaced, go for it. Either way, if the sensor doesn't sit in the right position and if it doesn't make a good seal, the valve won't open and/or the sensor will read wrong and give you stupid codes. Might be worth vacuum testing the valve to see if its any good before going to the bother of working on it. If you push the sensor in to make sure its sealed, and use a vacuum pump the valve should open and hold vacuum. if it doesn't, its done. The one on my Mark VII went leaky and gave me an intermittent check engine light. Never scanned it for codes, but replacing the valve with a good used one stopped the light.

Comment

I never got a engine light from it but i plan on changing the egr valve out in the future. Nothing wrong with the motor in the car now but id rather have what it needs done fixed and have no issues before something major comes up from neglecting the parts which i try not to do.
              2018 F150 XLT 43k
              1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

there is no check engine light for the computer on a 87

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Ok so the engine light is just for when its dying and going to blow?
                  2018 F150 XLT 43k
                  1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

pretty much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok so nothing to really worry about then. Ill just end up replacing the egr valve and i should be fine.
                      2018 F150 XLT 43k
                      1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

that's the general idea.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                        X