Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust

Before I take my car to muffler shop I got a question. Will getting rid of my cats and res' make the 5.0 run like a pos, or hard on fuel?
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - 302 fuely, AOD, homemade push bar. This Is my winter car!

The question you need to ask, what are your state emission laws? In my opinion, if there is nothing wrong with them, leave them. But to answer your question, removal wont hurt performance.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 24VTurbo View Post
      Before I take my car to muffler shop I got a question. Will getting rid of my cats and res' make the 5.0 run like a pos, or hard on fuel?
      Got rid of my 4 cats. The car runs great! Trying to figure out mpg. Have to take it on the highway

Motor City Patrick
      1988 MGM

Comment

Anyone remove their smog pump?

Motor City Patrick
        1988 MGM

Comment

Your catalytics should be worth a couple hundred dollars in scrap metal. Do the H.O. swap and put that money towards your gas mileage.
          87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
          Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Originally posted by 1988 Grand Marquis Pat View Post
            Anyone remove their smog pump?

Motor City Patrick
            Nearly everyone....

Removing the cats won't gain you any power on a stock lopo. It will however make it smell like shit.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

How would taking the cats off make it smell bad? A cat still in place that has gone bad stinks.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                How would taking the cats off make it smell bad? A cat still in place that has gone bad stinks.
                Not everyone loves smelling raw exhaust.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                  Not everyone loves smelling raw exhaust.
                  THIS x infinity

I loathe the smell of diesel. kinda one of the reasons I want to sell the Lincoln. It has no cats. But it's also useless to me now as I can't bring the wife with when driving it due to kid in tow and I'm not about to put it in storage for 10 years until the kid is tall enough to ride in the car legally. And no, I'm not dealing with the frustration of a child seat and a tudor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I noticed an improvement on my lopo in performance and gas milage after the cats were removed.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                    George Burns

Comment

When I was younger, I would do my glory runs to and from work on Fridays during the summer. I would disonnect the exhaust from the header collectors and run open. It was fun, but man did it make me stink of (un)burnt fuel.

Packman

Comment

If the cats are in good shape it shouldnt make any differance in performance or economy. A realy juced up engine it might. Gutting the cats and leaving the empty cans on will hurt economy unless replaced by pipes. If the vehicle is in good tune shouldnt be any differance in smell. Bad cats stink so do catless systems running to rich or lean. Some shops will not remove the cats if there on the vehicle when you bring it in. Some will remove the secondary one but not the one closest to the manifold.
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Interesting, why does leaving a gutted cat reduce fuel economy?
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

In simple terms it screws withthe air speed through the pipe going into a larger chamber then trying to get back into a smaler pipe again. Air flow / fluid dynamic texts have formulas to figure it out. Also screws with the reverse wave (scaviging of the exhaust). I have tried it both ways on a couple vehicles. Even tried expansion chambers like on a 2 stroke on a 4 stroke with no luck sort of the same situation.
                            Unlike most here I like to experment with things just for my own learning like a scientest does. It why I will try several combos to get the best results. Like trying lopo ported intakes vs lopo vs ported HO vs different cams, TBs on and on. Its what I do spending my life as a design engineer.
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I'd love to see what a ported lopo w/HO upper tuned to 19# injectors would pull.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X