Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Rebuild For Dummies (aka Mike_Windsors)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Rebuild For Dummies (aka Mike_Windsors)?

Well, I got to thinking again.

Wait, come back.

Is it possible to rebuild my car's engine without removing it from the vehicle, and if so, presuming I had access to the requisite parts, tools, and whatnot, could I feasibly do it on my own?

And no, I'm not particularly mechanically gifted. I can tie my own shoelaces though, so that gives me hope.

I ask because I love my car, but cannot afford to spend several thousand dollars on a new engine or to get it rebuilt for me. Apparently, my engine has the following existing conditions:
    - "general" oil leak
    - "rear" oil leak
    - "front" oil leak
    - intake manifold leaking internally (possibly)
    - head gasket failure (possibly)

So I figure the best option is to just rebuild the goddamn thing. It's nuts and bolts and metal, right? Common sense, patience, and some Timbits should make me right as rain.

Any comments appreciated, even if it's to tell me not to bother. ._.

Gonna have to pull it for a full rebuild............you could technically fix the oil leaks and head gasket in car but if the pan gasket is leaking (probable) then it'll porbably be easier to pull it than try and change it in car...........
    Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
      Gonna have to pull it for a full rebuild............you could technically fix the oil leaks and head gasket in car but if the pan gasket is leaking (probable) then it'll porbably be easier to pull it than try and change it in car...........
      Wouldn't regasketing the oil pan just involve pulling the pan off from under the car though?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
        Wouldn't regasketing the oil pan just involve pulling the pan off from under the car though?
        I think there's a cross member underneath the pan that gets in the way of removing it from under the car.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

You *might* be lucky enough to drop the oil pan far enough to slide a new multi-piece gasket kit in between the top of the oil pan and the bottom edge of the block. I have helped people do that with truck engines before. Sounds to me like you only want to fix leaks, not do an entire engine rebuild.
          Everything on top is do-able without pulling the engine; but if you are doing the rear main seal then the trans is going to have to be detached from the engine anyway, meaning it might be easier to just yank the engine right out so you can get at everything easier. I've done it before with a 5.0 in an 88 Crown Vic, it was worth the work to pull it for ease of access to the various gaskets, seals, etc.
          If you have a shop manual, basic mechanic's hand tools, a lifting device (chain hoist, cherry picker, farm tractor, whatever) and a buddy who's not useless as a screen door on a submarine, then you can remove and install the engine. Takes about a full day to remove, it'll probably take you a day to do the work that you were talking about and another day to put it all back together. So 3 days, 5 big boxes of Timbits, 200 foul oaths and at least 5 trips to the parts shop and you'll have your 351 buttoned up and no more leaky-leaky.
          Your first post made me lol.
          Cheers!
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

P.S: Hardest part will be disconnecting the exhaust from the manifolds. Not much room there and the studs/nuts like to be really, really rusty. If you're lucky enough, the studs will twist off and you can replace them once the engine is out.
            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If its just oil leaks, you don't need an engine rebuild. If you are leaking less than a quart between oil changes, its not even something you need to be concerned about. Park over a piece of cardboard or something if the driveway stains are a problem.

What makes you think the head gasket is leaky? They seldom fail, and usually when they do its a definite failure, not a sorta-kinda-maybe failure. Either way, its definitely something that can and needs to be diagnosed before chucking a lot of time and parts at something that may not be at all wrong.

The oil pan is usually not what leaks on these. Most of the time its the intake gaskets and the valve cover gaskets. Need to figure out exactly where the oil is coming from, "front" "back" and "general" don't say much. My car has an oil leak on the back of the front side thats generally annoying, but that doesn't tell you that its just a leaky front oil drain plug.

Honestly, to be perfectly blunt here, if you can't locate the oil leak on the car, you can't rebuild the engine. I don't say this to sound like one of those know it all internet jackasses, and my purpose is not to embarass you but merely to attempt to save you a bunch of money and frustration. I get that you're not a car guru, and thats fine. All older cars need one though, whether its the owner or their mechanic. It sounds like you don't have a good mechanic either. My most honest suggestion would be to find a guy that likes older cars, and specifically is OK with Fords. You can't get a hardcore Chevy guy to work on it because he'll just hate the thing and not care. If you can't afford a good mechanic, you have to learn to be one yourself. Either way, I suspect you need a xanax and maybe a few gaskets, but not a complete engine overhaul.
              Last edited by gadget73; 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

whats your budget first off. then research is what you need to do.some rebuilds cost from 1500 and up.your budget will tell you what can be done and remember you get what you pay for

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Honestly, to be perfectly blunt here, if you can't locate the oil leak on the car, you can't rebuild the engine. I don't say this to sound like one of those know it all internet jackasses, and my purpose is not to embarass you but merely to attempt to save you a bunch of money and frustration. I get that you're not a car guru, and thats fine. All older cars need one though, whether its the owner or their mechanic. It sounds like you don't have a good mechanic either. My most honest suggestion would be to find a guy that likes older cars, and specifically is OK with Fords. You can't get a hardcore Chevy guy to work on it because he'll just hate the thing and not care. If you can't afford a good mechanic, you have to learn to be one yourself. Either way, I suspect you need a xanax and maybe a few gaskets, but not a complete engine overhaul.
                  I'm not offended. I know I'm not a gearhead. I figure that if I learn how to rebuild an engine I'll have crossed something off my bucket list before I die...

What is an Xanax?

I wish I had driven the thing down to Scottfest or something so I could show you guys and you could see for yourselves whether I just worry too much or if there's a genuine concern.

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
                    whats your budget first off. then research is what you need to do.some rebuilds cost from 1500 and up.your budget will tell you what can be done and remember you get what you pay for

I'm a poor man, let's put it that way.

Comment

The valve covers on these cars leak like crazy. I've had to replace every VCGs on every 5.8 I've ever driven more than 100K. They generally pour oil and the oil runs down the block to the pan rails, then wind/air blows the crap everywhere. Not saying the rear main isn't leaking (another trouble spot) but a greasy leaking SBF is not uncommon. I'd say pulling it out is the best way to get the thing cleaned up and would yield the best success. I did a 77 TBird with a 351W years ago in the car. Replaced rear main, oil pump, pan gasket, timing cover gasket etc. It didn't have a split pan!!

Comment

xanax is an anti-depressant. Basically, you're over-thinking every little thing. My Mad Marquis leaks enough oil to coat the underside of the car back to the rear axle. I add 2 quarts after 1500 miles and then change the oil/filter at 3K. meh. leaks from valve covers and maybe the lower intake as well, but it runs like a top. I just keep the oil topped up and keep beating.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Its actually more of an anti-anxiety med.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

meh... "happy pill"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              My Mad Marquis leaks enough oil to coat the underside of the car back to the rear axle.
                              Automatic rustproofing .....cheaper than Fluid Film!

Comment

Working...
                              X