Broken T-Stat Housing Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken T-Stat Housing Bolt

While changing out the thermostat on my car, one of the thermostat housing bolts snapped. It snapped right above the gasket surface. How should I go about fixing this so it won't leak? Would JB Weld work?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
    How should I go about fixing this so it won't leak?
    If you can't get vice grips on the bolt, drill the centre of the bolt for a small easy-out. That would be my first choice of action. Or drill it progressively larger until you can run a tap through it (that necessitates a very well-centred pilot hole to begin with). JB weld will not torque the housing against the intake manifold, which is undesirable with a system operating under pressure.
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Hate that neighbor! The JB Weld won't cut it. Too much heat and pressure. Which bolt? I hope it was not the one down between the timing cover! I had to bend a special wrench to get at that one on my dad's 302 truck engine. Can you drill it "straight" and get a screw extractor in it? Also, did you get the second bolt out and therefore the tstat housing off?

Comment

There's about 1/16" sticking out but I don't think it's enough for vice grips. It is the bolt on the passenger side of the engine. I got the other bolt off and was able to remove the housing. I haven't had luck in the past with drilling stuff out (the "good" drill bits I spent $6 on at Lowe's couldn't even drill out an aluminum pop rivet.) I'm debating taking the lower intake off and taking it to a shop to have it drilled out since I don't have a good drill or heating torches.

Comment

Normally I would suggest welding a nut on whats left and just back it out.
          BUT since this is so hard to get to with little room to spare I would seriously consider removing the intake to do this or just swap intakes.
          The cost of doing anything else but swapping intakes may be so high (if you can't DIY) that another stock intake from the JY would be the
          cheap way out.

Comment

How much do you reckon a JY lower intake would cost? I might just go that route since I don't feel like drilling, having the bit walk out, and messing up the aluminum.

Comment

How much do you reckon a JY lower intake would cost? I might just go that route since I don't feel like drilling, having the bit walk out, and messing up the aluminum.
              Intakes are $25 around here at a yard, I would just get another intake unless you can get it out with vice grips or an easy out. I wouldn't buy new tools though since the intake is so cheap.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Saw a Town Car in the yard with a C-clamp on that very spot where your bolt broke. I laughed when I saw it.

It looked like it had been on there for awhile.
                1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I currently have the upper intake off from the car. What else needs to come off in order to remove the lower intake manifold? Do I have to remove the distributor?

Comment

I currently have the upper intake off from the car. What else needs to come off in order to remove the lower intake manifold? Do I have to remove the distributor?
                    You technically don't have too, but yes, you do.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                    X