timing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing questions

Hey what do you guys think i should do to keep my Town Cars timing correct while I swap cams? I can see the markings on the balancer and the dial but where should I line it all up, also does the distributor need to be marked? im a n00b to timing an engine :drug:
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

When you do the cam swap, the two dots on the gears (crank and cam) will point at each other. This will be top dead center on piston #1. The rotor will point straight back at this time. If you have an old cap, bust the #1 tower off and use that to check that its correct. Ignition timing should be 10 degrees BTDC with the SPOUT connector unplugged, but you'll need the motor running and a timing light to set that.

Get a service manual and follow the directions for replacing the timing chain once you swap the cam. It'll work the same way. If you are unsure about how to re-drop the distributor, just don't pull it. It shouldn't be neccesary to remove it anyway. Just a word of caution when swapping the cams, be careful to not scratch the bearings. You'll want a cam installation handle (also known as the side handle for many electric drills) to help with this. Try and keep it as straight as possible so the cam bearings don't get all beat up. Some bumping is OK, but don't just jerk the cam out of there and drag the lobes across all the bearings.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Man, this has disaster written all over it.

The only advice I can add, is make sure you time the motor with #1 cylinder on the compression stroke and NOT the exhaust stroke.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq

The only advice I can add, is make sure you time the motor with #1 cylinder on the compression stroke and NOT the exhaust stroke.
        There is only one tdc with the chain off. When you index the cam to the crank, it becomes the compression stroke.

Comment

i am worried about how I'm going to time this thing, I don't want to blow the engine the :cuss: up. Will I need a timing light?
          1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Off Topic, but your car is SWEEEET!
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar
              i am worried about how I'm going to time this thing, I don't want to blow the engine the :cuss: up. Will I need a timing light?
              Once the engine goes back together you will want to check the ignition timing with a light, yes.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                Originally posted by 88grandmarq

There is only one tdc with the chain off. When you index the cam to the crank, it becomes the compression stroke.
                you would be surprised what happens at 2am when you are trying to get the motor running... Right Scott
                2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

whenever I hit a problem i don't have patience for, i stop working on the car for the day, thats how i've gotten through this without breaking anything (except the smog rail.......ooops) thanks Grandmarquis GT

Comment

Working...
                  X