Info on 1984s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on 1984s

I'm contemplating buying a 84' townie with 20,000 miles.

In the past, I've owned EEC-III cars which were an absolute nightmare. Could anyone fill me in on the troubles the 84' had? Was there anything specific to this year that's notable? Anything I should be looking for? Bear in mind, I've owned 20+ Panthers in my years....I just haven't owned anything with CFI, or whatever it had that year.

Basically:

Slow, difficult to make any faster without swapping the whole top end, very sensitive to vacuum leaks.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
      Basically:

Slow, difficult to make any faster without swapping the whole top end, very sensitive to vacuum leaks.
      Slow I expected, LOL. My EEC-III cars just never ran right now matter what I fixed on them. Was this a carbed car? Fuel injected?

Comment

Fuel injection in a carb body.

My '84 Towncar runs fine with the CFI, starts up instantly, peppy and nice throttle response.

Comment

when it works... it just works. when it doesn't... nightmare.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

84 is EEC IV, not EEC-III. Similar, but less expensive parts and easier to diagnose.

It is otherwise a very smooth runner, but completely gutless. I think it made 140 hp or something. THey're miserly on fuel, particularly on the highway, but don't try to pass people. You might die. I would replace the timing chain as a preventative measure. Yes I realize its got 20k on it, but the cam gear has plastic teeth, and after 30 years in the oil the plastic is not as resiliant as it ought to be. It crumbles off and eventually enough comes off to let the chain hop. THese are interference engines and it will bend valves.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X