Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to seafoam the Town Car: Which vacuum line should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to seafoam the Town Car: Which vacuum line should I use?

Is there a particular vacuum hose I should pour the stuff into?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

I believe the brake booster hose is the common line to use.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yes, you would use the brake booster line. I just did mine a few days ago. Pour it in SLOWLY!!. And just a little at a time, not the whole amount (1/3 of the can!). Shut the car down, and let it set for about 15 minutes. When you restart the car, the exhaust is going to smoke like bastard, but don't let that scare you. It will clear up in a minute , or two. Then pour the rest into the fuel tank. With what you put in the fuel tank, be ready to change the fuel filter. I changed mine, and could not believe the amount of water it took out of the tank. Mind you, I fill the car up every week with either Mobil, or Hess, depending which way I go home at night ( I like to change things up, and these two name brand stations are CHEAPER then the independents around here.).

MIKE

Comment

i use the pcv line but its probably easier to get to on my car. when you pour it use your thumb over the seafoam bottle to control the amount that comes out.
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I'd also use the PCV just because it would flush out the gunk in that line. I'd also figure that the bulk of any crap in the intake would have come through that hose.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I ended up using the brake booster line. I warmed the engine up and slowly poured in between 1/3 and 1/2 of the bottle. Shut the car off and put the rest in the gas tank. I waited five minutes before restarting it and a decent amount of smoke came out. I'm about 1,000 miles from my next oil change, so I'm debating running seafoam again right before, this time through the PCV valve and maybe adding some to the crankcase. Thoughts?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
            2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
            2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
              I ended up using the brake booster line. I warmed the engine up and slowly poured in between 1/3 and 1/2 of the bottle. Shut the car off and put the rest in the gas tank. I waited five minutes before restarting it and a decent amount of smoke came out. I'm about 1,000 miles from my next oil change, so I'm debating running seafoam again right before, this time through the PCV valve and maybe adding some to the crankcase. Thoughts?
              i wouldn't add any to the crankcase. if you insist, use a really small amount and only let it idle. immediately change oil afterwards.
              Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

why would you pour it in the brake booster line????? It seems crazy
                "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You disconnect it from the booster and use it to pour the chemicals into the intake manifold where it cleans out soot etc.

Pete
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

It doesn't enter the brake system, if that is your fear. Just gets sucked into the intake and beyond areas.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

oh, ok so there is a hose that runs from the booster to the intake, ok That makes sense.

Would you run seafoam this way right before an oil change? When would be the best time to do this?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Through the intake you can basically do it anytime, although I suppose it would be best to do it right before an oil change in case crap on the rings gets shaken loose, but i would not worry too much about that. If you're adding it to the crankcase I would definitely change the oil immediately afterwards, however bad things can happen if there is a lot of sludge or buildup in there, so i'd stick with just putting it in the intake and gas. I think I'll do my car, I'm sure I have a ton of carbon on the intake valves.
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

This sounds like an awesome idea and I would love to do it, except with 130k on my ltc now, im afraid tha ttoo much might be shaken loose and it might clog up my sump pump for the oil pump, like you mentioned brownmuscle.

Doing it through the booster hose will not cause that right? Are there any negatives from doing this?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Not personally keen on putting it in the oil but for the Intake it should be fine. Just let it sit as the car will probably have a VERY difficult time starting. Other than that and killing all the mosquitos in your area (once the car does start and you blow out all the white smoke) it should be safe!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Btw I use Berrymans B-12, smokes out the neighborhood the same as Seafoam and it's mucho mucho cheaper.

Pete
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
                              X