Which sensors are fuel related on a 1991 box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which sensors are fuel related on a 1991 box

Hello again, still trying to figure out the fuel related sometimes non start issue.
    A few questions, sorry.

1. Where does the fuel pump wiring end up under the hood?
    Seems like I touched a wiring harness under the intake and heard the fuel pump kick (hum) on with the key on.
    I do not notice the fuel pump hum all of the time.
    2. I just put on a new TPS last night and think I have much better gas mileage today.
    What other sensors should I change out while I am at it?
    3. I just got the IAC in today and will try to change it this weekend. It did not come with a gasket.
    Will the local parts stores have a gasket? Should I use any gasket seal on it.
    Actually that is all.

Thank you all,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

If the car is running, the fuel pump will be humin.
    There is a fuel pump relay under the hood, it can go bad and the car won't run at all. Or it can go bad and work intermittenly.
    IAC gaskets cost less than a dollar at any parts store.

Comment

1: at the fuel pump relay. On a 91, thats clipped to the side of the black plastic vacuum reservoir on the driver's side fender. Forget which of the 3 it is, but its marked.
      2: oxygen sensors. Check the function of the ECT and ACT sensors as well. Don't replace them if they are reading correctly though as you won't be anything but poorer for your bother.
      3: if the original gasket is damaged, parts store may have one. The original can probably be re-used. No sealer. Worst its going to do is leak and idle a bit higher than it should. I'd try the original first and replace if there is a problem.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Like stated above the fuel pump relay is mounted on the inside of the fenderwell in the black shrouds. It will have a fat yellow wire going to it. If it has loose contacts and you touch it or wiggle it, it can prime the pump.
        87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
        Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
          Hello again, still trying to figure out the fuel related sometimes non start issue.
          A few questions, sorry.

1. Where does the fuel pump wiring end up under the hood?
          Seems like I touched a wiring harness under the intake and heard the fuel pump kick (hum) on with the key on.
          I do not notice the fuel pump hum all of the time.
          2. I just put on a new TPS last night and think I have much better gas mileage today.
          What other sensors should I change out while I am at it?
          3. I just got the IAC in today and will try to change it this weekend. It did not come with a gasket.
          Will the local parts stores have a gasket? Should I use any gasket seal on it.
          Actually that is all.

Thank you all,
          Mike
          sounds like a bad wire going into the pump relay. common problem that can shut down the car while your driving it.
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Thank you all again.
            Yesterday I replaced the IAC, ACT, ECT, fuel pump relay, ac cutout relay and as precaution I replaced both cable ends. A few days ago I replaced the TPS.

The ACT sensor was brittle and the plastic was cracked when I removed it. I have started the car twice since all the previous was replaced. I let it run for a few seconds. The engine light was on each time . I have not driven the car yet.

I can hear the fuel pump wirrr each time I turn the key on. I would only hear it every now and then before changing out the relay. I think the sometimes no start issue is fixed.
            Now I want to concentrate on the fuel economy. I have a fuel filter to put on later today. I would like to change most of the sensors. Next is the sensor in the air box and the sensor attached to the EGV valve, EGR valve was replaced new two years ago.

QUESTIONS: What are the two sensors at the top back of the intake that look identical?

What is the sensor on the front of the intake, just left of the EGR valve that has a vacuum hose going to the EGR valve?

Sorry to ramble, I just woke up.

Thanks again,
            Mike
            Last edited by stinkydogfilms; 11-03-2013, 11:58 AM.
            90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
            90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
            91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
            70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

there should not be a sensor in the airbox on these, unless you have a later style airbox. If thats the case, its still not used.

the two things on the back side of the intake near the throttle body are the solenoids for the thermacotor (smog pump) system. They have nothing to do with fuel economy.

the one next to the EGR valve is the EVR, egr vacuum regulator, which opens and closes the EGR valve. Also not really fuel related though if the solenoid's filter is clogged or the solenoid is sticky inside it can make the egr work a bit erratically. Cleaning the foam filter out (if its still foam-like) and a shot of WD-40 inside of the unit to un-stick it should be all thats needed to make it work right again.

The oxygen sensors have a lot more to do with fuel economy than any of those do, though of course they're a lot more of a pain in the ass to change. Vacuum leaks also have a lot to do with economy and general running conditions. Besides the lines themselves, the grommet at the brake booster often leaks a bit, the check valves may not work properly, and there may be leaks elsewhere. If you're really determined to squeeze everything possible out of the car, spend a lot of time with a vacuum pump testing components and fixing any leaks you can find. It will never be 100% leak-tight but there are usually still some improvements to be found.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if the engine light is on... I would check, double check, and triple check the oil. If it's not flowing, the engine will die in short order.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  if the engine light is on... I would check, double check, and triple check the oil. If it's not flowing, the engine will die in short order.
                  91 should have a "CHECK ENGINE" And a separate light for low oil pressure.
                  1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

oh... check engine ain't so bad then. Read codes and find out what the hell.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X