2150 carb throttle linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2150 carb throttle linkage

Looking into getting a 2150 carb to replace my VV...they are pretty cheap. However i can't find any with the throttle linkage with the rod attachment...however i did find the throttle shaft/linkage separately for the rod. can i just swap them out and make it work? it appears possible but i have no experience with these carbs. Thanks!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I think if you get an 82 Tbird 302 carb, it has the proper linkage for the AOD kickdown rod.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hmm I'll check it out, I doubt one will show up anytime soon though..most on ebay are unlisted except the year, but they are cheap, so it would be worth swapping on the linkage if i can

Edit: strange, rock auto doesn't have a 302 engine option for the thunderbird for 82. 81 has it though. pretty pricey though
      Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 09-26-2013, 10:40 PM.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

based on rebuilds i've looked at, i don't see why this would not work, but if the NOS shaft was shorter than the one in the carb...that would suck lol
        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

maybe its 81 then. early 80s, whatever it is.

Is that the AOD throttle lever assembly? Most of those carbs were on vehicles with a C4, which used a somewhat similar looking kickdown rod, but I think the geometry is different.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was looking through my readers ride thread on GL, looking for info on my 2150 carb swap, and I can't for the life of me remember what year vehicle I ordered it from.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1273114Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1273115Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1273116
              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              maybe its 81 then. early 80s, whatever it is.

Is that the AOD throttle lever assembly? Most of those carbs were on vehicles with a C4, which used a somewhat similar looking kickdown rod, but I think the geometry is different.
              Not so sure anymore, here's an older style that is similar, but definitely not the same based on the pic. http://www.fordification.com/tech/im...nkage_8cyl.jpg

The fact that it is an 81 part number is promising but... the pictures from here with an AOD looks nothing like that linkage.. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...0-and-aod.html

Here are some pictures of my linkage... the two primary differences are, the 2150 does not have the arm for the external spring, and it has a spring built into it which mine does not...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1273114Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1273115Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1273116
              Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 09-27-2013, 09:24 AM.
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Ok, definitely the wrong linkage...ignore my thoughts from above. Carb from an 81 thunderbird on rockauto is definitely correct, everything matches up

there's one with the correct linkage
                Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM.
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

After entering some very vague search parameters on ebay I have found one for cheap!

Thank you Thain for questioning whether that linkage was correct, I would have screwed the pooch had i gotten it.
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I wanna say the external spring deal is a C4 kickdown rod. I don't remember ever seeing that arrangement on an AOD, but I've not spent a lot of time with carb or CFI / AOD vehicles either. Or with C4 stuff for that matter.

Cool that you found the right thing. Hopefully a 2150 will get you through emissions. Any consideration to just doing QQ plates and saying the hell with the smog test? Doesn't sound like you put enough miles on it to be a big concern.

Comment

Collectors is 3K miles a year...maybe at some point. I think i read on DMV that you can only drive it to and from car shows and repair shops, but I'll look again. It should pass if i tune it right, everything else emissions wise is new, save for the smog pump, which will most likely be going any way. Plus I can use the 02 sensor to see how it's running which will be nice

More likely that I'll move out of state anyway, my town is nice, but i hate NJ.
                      Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 09-27-2013, 07:38 PM.
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I don't think the 2150 is much different, but I have a 2100 and instead of having a stud like the pictured 2150 has, it has a hole which I drilled out and fabbed up an extension and was able to use my SEFI TV cable and I am still able to adjust the adjuster block for it. Probably not the best solution but my trans is old anyway, and it seems to work and shift well, plus has a 1:1 sweep with the throttle.

Also I was thinking about maybe chopping off the cable brackets on my CFI unit and just welding them into the carb? Just a thought.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

I wouldn't weld to the carb just on the grounds of potentially needing to fix stuff in the future.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you'd pull the shaft out first if you had some sense, but yeah the heat probably wouldn't do you any favors.

Comment

In JY near me there is a 81 F100 ranger with the 2150 carb with aod. If you are interested i can go get it.
                              “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X