'91 Grand Marquis 5.0L fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 Grand Marquis 5.0L fuel pump

My fuel pump makes a whining sound when I turn the key to the run position prior to starting. While idling I can hear the pump whining, it sounds very close to an electric servo like on a plane. The dealership tested the fuel pressure and said that it was good. I don't know what the actual reading was. What are your opinions on a whining fuel pump? Do all fuel pumps that make noise indicate that they are bad or can they last for a long time even if they are making noise?

My car has has a fuel pump whining like a banshee since I bought it 3+ years ago. Runs fine, but I will replace it some day because of the noise.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

mine makes a brief whine when it primes-- nothing more.

Although, I was surprised, did a fuel pump on a 2002 v70xc today and was worried about a continuous whine from a new pump.
      I understand that it was normal, and, simply with the seats out of the way you could hear it!
      Once I put the seats back, covering it up, couldn't hear it.

Guess some noise is normal. Pressure might be OK, the only other thing to look at is duty cycle (how hard is the pump working to maintain that pressure). Probably not something you can look at really; but I'm wondering if it whines all the time, like mine whines just for 2 seconds, if there's a problem and it's running hard continuously....

rockauto has airtex fuel pumps for $39 right now, not a bad price-- the real cost is in the pita to drop the tank, of course

Comment

My original FP made NO noise at all ('87 GM). The Carter replacement is, however, noisy but works well. If it ever needs another I'll go back to OEM.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Mine whines all the time but you can only hear it if you sitting still with the windows down and the radio, and fan off. Its not very loud and the Original Owner told me its done it as long as he remembers. I've got good fuel pressure so its not on my list of things to worry about.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

If it didn't whine I'd be worried. =-)

Alex.

Comment

The only quiet one I've heard was weak. The replacement whined but the car ran a hell of a lot better with it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

mine. it makes you really think my car IS a mothership.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Thanks guys. Sounds like the majority of these pumps make noise just like Ford rearends! The pump is original to the car and I won't worry about it until it doesn't make noise!

Comment

Ford rears don't make noises unless something is wrong. The rear axle bearing setup uses the axle as the inner bearing race and that does get a lot of pitting and such on the axle over time. That can make it noisy. Unfortunately eventually it will chew through the axle and snap it so if your rear is whining, you should probably find out why.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X