Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

89 Grand Marquis hesitation off idle, Where to look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pull the vacuum line to the EGR... pull a vacuum on it to open it with the car idling... if the engine dies, the valve itself is good and the passages are clear enough. If nothing changes... the passages are clogged or the valve is crap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had the same light throttle hesitation on my '90. Here's what cured it.

Cleaned out the throttle body/butterfly and iac. Replaced the vacuum line coming from under the plenum to the map, also replaced the vacuum line coming from under the plenum and going down the front of the engine under the a/c compressor to what I believe is the evap solenoid. Both vacuum lines were pretty bad. I also ran two bottles of chevron techron fuel cleaner with 2 tanks of gas.

Light throttle miss and rolling idle are gone.

Comment

Too bad you can't replace the vac lines without removing the intake......

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

the MAP line you can... the EVAP, vac tree, and PCV lines not so much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I had to remove the intake to do both lines as they were hose clamped to the intake.

Removing it isn't a big deal, it's just 6 bolts if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by mobydick View Post
              under the plenum to the map
              thanks for the help guys ive been battling this thing for a while now. and with 6 kids an a full time job , i get about 2 hrs a day to try things.... could i ask what a plenum is? lol

Comment

plenum is the big upper metal section of the air intake

Comment

I am having a big miss and bucking when my 89 TC is cold. When it warms up,it stops. I have read this thread and will check a few things out. According to this thread, there are many things to check out !

Comment

Working...
                  X