Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Don't need no stinkin' broken crank.
    Would that really happen if it separated? In theory, I know what the balancer does, but I don't think I knew the extent of the damage it would prevent.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
      Would that really happen if it separated? In theory, I know what the balancer does, but I don't think I knew the extent of the damage it would prevent.
      If it fails in such a way that it twists and the weight is shifted, it can snap a crank.

Comment

ouch. should I replace the bolt as well? it looks fine. theads are good and its not stretched
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

also someone mentioned breaking the timing cover - how fragile are they? are they aluminum or what? how/where do they usually break?
          sigpic

Comment

They're aluminum. The bolts are reuseable for the balancer. They tend to crack around the water jackets. Sometimes on the inside so the coolant mixes with oil! Yay false headgasket symptoms!

Comment

cool. when it comes off it's got a date with the parts washer, i will be able to better inspect it after that.
              sigpic

Comment

When balancers come apart they don't instantly snap cranks in half...I'm seen some torn and twisted for months on end...engine shakes like a sumbitch at idle as long as you're not turning much rpm it'll get you to where you need to go....FWIW, I had a crank snap at the #2 main with a perfectly good balancer(a result of high mileage/rpm)....chances are it's fine, but if you can afford to do it while you're there then go ahead.

Good luck,
                Don
                '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

I usually don't like to re-install them if they are old and I've already got it off. The one on the Mark VII had 225k on it and had a visible wobble at idle. The rubber was pushing out and cracked. I also know a guy who snapped a crank when the balancer came apart, though I expect he was beating the piss out of the truck at the time, so thats probably related.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    The one on the Mark VII had 225k on it and had a visible wobble at idle. The rubber was pushing out and cracked.

Yeah, I would have replaced that one too!
                    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Working...
                    X