No announcement yet.

Header Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New ones came today. they are both warped. both are bent inwards towards the center of the header. Concave if you will. I will be writing summit again...thoughts? Can post pictures later and i will use a feeler gauge to measure the exact amount.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Ok looked at them a bit carefully...and they are a lot more unevenly warped than i thought. I wrote to summit tell them this. well...here's the email, sums it up well. I want the ceramic coated ones now...

Hello,
      Today I received the replacement headers sent out to replaced the previously warped ones. When i removed them from the box and measured them with a blue point precision straight edge I found both are warped in various locations. One over .035" (very visible) and the other .026" (also visibly warped). It is disheartening to find another set warped from the factory... Can I send this set back (again) and get the BBK-15110 ceramic coated headers (I will pay for the difference in price of course). I know this is the manufacturers defect and not summits fault. If it is at all possible to have someone check the headers with a straight edge before they are sent out that would be ideal. Hopefully we can work this out as I know it is a little more complicated than a regular return. Thanks

-Phil
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

From my experience, summit is very good with returns. I had a Granatelli coil-over kit for my old T-bird, and as soon as I set the car down, the adjuster rings under the spring jammed up on the sleeve, they had no problem giving me a refund.

I <3 summit racing! lol

Good luck,
        Don
        Last edited by sick88tbird; 04-14-2012, 05:01 PM. Reason: holy grammatical errors bat-man!
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Alright, Update time...

After much communication through summit, the unused headers were picked up by UPS, and I opted to spend a little bit more cash and get the ceramic coated ones. I also ordered 16 of the "High-Strength Stainless Socket Cap Screw Bumax 88, 3/8"-16 Thread, 3/4" Length" from McMaster-Carr. Which cost me a pretty penny...however they are stronger than normal stainless (grade 5 equivalent) and highly corrosive resistant. The stock bolts that come with BBK's are grade 5, so I should do just fine. I'm looking forward to having easy access to the bolt heads now...was a major PITA with the hex head's they came with. sooo....wish me luck with this fresh set!

One more question actually... I have a set of Mr. Gasket Ultraseals that I used once for less than 50 miles...they claim to be reusable, think i will have any issue throwing them on there?
          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

try it and see. No need for really special high strength bolts in that spot either. Regular old stainless would have been more than adequate, or hell even steel would have done the job.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I figured I'd go stronger than weaker. Regular stainless is rated at below grade 3...Oh well, these should hold up nicely
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I think I used grade 5 SS bolts, and yes, from mcmaster carr.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

You really should use anti gallant with stainless bolts.

I have Percy's copper gaskets on my tudor. No issues.

ARP 6 point, 3/8" hex head bolts.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    I think I used grade 5 SS bolts, and yes, from mcmaster carr.
                    Good to know i won't be alone!

P72Ford
                    You really should use anti gallant with stainless bolts.
                    I'm glad you brought this up, as I hadn't even heard of galling before you mentioned it. So a dab of anti-sieze on each bolt prior to assembly? I read the bottle and they say it helps prevent galling..
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

It appears there is a small leak coming from the weld where one of the pipes attaches to the flange..pretty definitive, it's not coming from around the gasket/edges. I've never had so much trouble with one brand in my life =/
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

wow... just wow

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Quality control? What's that?

Look at what i found when I took the headers off... I couldn't get the passenger side collector area to tighten down fully...felt like a stripped nut at first, I didn't even bother looking into it after i found the leak on the drivers side. As you can see the welds broke...compared to the other side they are small, and didn't even fully penetrate the flange piece.

Attached is a picture showing where the exhaust gasses were leaking through the welds on the pipe/mounting flange (you can see a bit of tan/brown). Also are the broken welds and a picture of the welds on the other header, which appear to be beefier...

The pair that is coming today better be alright!!! I'm getting tired of this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02481.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1269077Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02480.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1269078Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02475.jpg
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1269079
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice.
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

wow, thats crap. BBK used to be one of the decent headers. I wonder if they have offshored production or something. Not fully welding the primary tubes is also BS. Thats guaranteed to leak.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X