No announcement yet.

Header Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must admit I will have a hard time sleeping tonight after reading this thread....
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

havnt had any issues with mine at all, but there are def differences in header design the bbks i have have a good flange surface. gasket and some red goop and it is good to go, the headers that came with my HO are oval port headers,and have been machine a bit, but even still i dont believ that these are very helpful as the ports are not going to match up in any form for perfromance wise. unless you port the heads to oval shape. i think they are hedman hedders but dont quote me. they may even be frpp but i dont know
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
        I must admit I will have a hard time sleeping tonight after reading this thread....
        bbk 1515 headers, a good gasket, some red goop or copper and youll be fine, install tourqe down, warm engine up , cool down re tourqe. youll be fine mang
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Hmm, never retorque, no rtv, mr.gasket ultraseals on mine. No leaks. The BBK 1515 headers. I just tighten them up a bunch of times to start off with, with stainless steel allen head bolts, lock washers, and custom socket to be able to reach all the bolts.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
            and custom socket to be able to reach all the bolts.
            Tell me more!

Comment

If you have to use RTV, then you're doing something wrong. The super cheap paper gaskets that come with headers are worthless, they may work for a little while but that's it. I always use stock replacement gaskets from Fel-Pro and NEVER have a problem...on all different brands of headers...copper isn't really worth a crap either...I've never torqued header bolts to any spec and I've never done them in any particular sequence and never had problems with stock replacement Fel-Pro gaskets...no monkey snot, no rtv and no magic spells.

Good luck,
              Don
              '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

What he said. Shouldn't need magic goop or any crazy nonsense to seal and keep the headers sealed. I did try copper gaskets once and they leaked like crazy. FelPro works, but I've also had good luck with the MrGasket black Ultra Seal gaskets. I do tighten them starting in the center and working my way outward but I do that with most any gasket.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I contacted summit and they said to send them back, free of charge, and they will send me new ones. As soon as i get them out of the box i am checking them with a precision straight edge, and going to use the ultra seals! I'll take the straight edge to the heads as well to double check the surfaces. Hopefully i will have better luck round 2! The one header was pretty damn warped!
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I've been buying the cheapass mr. gasket gaskets. But since I popped another one I'm gonna be buying some better ones next time.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Mac headers are the most fun of them all because they don't have a single flange...individual flanges for each tube, which is usually fine the first time...but take them off one car and try putting them on another is a royal pain...the official Mac header tool is a big ass prybar.

Good luck with the next set!

-Don
                      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

ugh, Mac headers. The only kind with individual flanges that actually fit right are the stock HO headers. Don't know why, but the damn things never seem to warp.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I used stainless steel allen head bolts. They take a 5/16" allen. I cut the elbow off of one of my allen wrenches and stuck it in a 1/4" drive socket. Can get to everything easily.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Where did you get your bolts from?
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

if I had to guess, McMasterCarr

Comment

Just had to replace my passenger side header gasket yesterday....I used the felpro one's
                                The Best
                                Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Working...
                                X