d80e head info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

d80e head info

does my 84 grand marquis 302 have d8oe heads and are all d80e heads the screw in stud style?
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

they should be pedestal mount bolt down rockers

Comment

how can i tell if they are d80e heads being that they are still on the block. so the d80e heads just use a bolt to hold the rockers down and are not the pressed in style studs that use a nut to hold the rocker down.
      1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
      1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

You would have to pull the intake to know 100% sure. Why is this critical??

Comment

If they.re not d8 they're something darned near identical. Same ports, similar chamber. 68-72cc, 8.3 compression. Assuming it's a stock panther 351.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

i just took the valve cover off and they are the bolt down style rockers and they had some kind of metal plate holding each set of rockers togeather. the ony numbers i found under the valve cover is 4a24 (anyone know what that means). im buying a new set of d80e heads and just wanted to make make sure im buying the right ones so i can re use my rockers etc..

Comment

Are you getting some amazing deal on the D8's? because if your not you minus well get some E5's pr E7's. The D8's are some of the worst heads made for the windsor family.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

yeah a buddy of mine owes me money and he has a brand new set that he will give me to make up for the defference. im not looking for horse power just a stocker that i can throw on my new 1977 302 that im building as my original 302 has bad oil rings.( 240,000 miles on a cfi).

Comment

Yeah i'd never put d8's back on. There is zero work to put on the better e7's or even some versions of gt40s.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

yeah i know there not the best but i gotta get something from my friend. im just reusing all of my cfi stuff so im not even sure if better heads will work with cfi as ive heard that the computer is real sensitive to changes.

Comment

E7s should be ok as it's mostly the compression increase where you benefit, which isn't (directly) an airflow thing. But yes GT40s on a CFI could act rather oddly.

Comment

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
                        i just took the valve cover off and they are the bolt down style rockers and they had some kind of metal plate holding each set of rockers togeather. the ony numbers i found under the valve cover is 4a24 (anyone know what that means). im buying a new set of d80e heads and just wanted to make make sure im buying the right ones so i can re use my rockers etc..
                        That means that they were cast on January 24th 1984. Your cars production date will be after that if they are original.
                        Last edited by Mercracer; 12-18-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

IIRC, all SBFs went to pedestal mount rockers starting in 1977. I've also read that even when studs were used, screw-in studs were relatively uncommon.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            I've also read that even when studs were used, screw-in studs were relatively uncommon.
                            Only the HiPo 289, Boss 302, Boss 351 and 351C HO got screw in studs for small blocks. Everything else was a press in stud.

Comment

A D8 head is suitable if you want a stock rebuild for a 78-84 351 or 302. They suck though, so unless you're purposely wanting the motor to suck, don't bother. The E5 and E7 heads are both better. 85 CFI cars ran noticeably better than 84 cars. the only difference is the cylinder heads. I think they are rated 10 or 15 hp higher too, and its apparent. Don't get me wrong, putting an E5 or E7 head on an otherwise stock CFI 302 setup will not make it fast, it'll just make it slightly more tolerable to drive. The E6 head is probably a backward move, and I'd run D8 heads before E6 heads. If you clean the ports up a little bit, you can probably make a D8 work about as well as an E5 though.

Anyway, I'm guessing you're already aware that a 1977 engine has different imbalance values than the 84 motor right? You'll need a different flexplate and balancer because of that. Just figured I'd point it out if you weren't already aware.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X