Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will inoperative EGR adversely effect fuel economy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will inoperative EGR adversely effect fuel economy ?

Title pretty much asks the question I have ,
    My EGR had been causing drive-abilty problems ( surging and bucking part throttle cruise)
    I thought that I had it cured a while back by cleaning the valve and passages, but it still acted funny . I disconnected the vacuum line and plugged it and the car runs better but ever since my fuel economy seems to be less than before .
    According to my trip computer I can't seem to average more than 15 MPG but when the car was driven regularly by my father and I before he died we would average closer to 21 MPG. .
    I know everyone's first response may be that I have a heavier foot , but I assure you that is not the case. I plan on replacing the valve and sensor in the near future but I have a 2000 mile trip coming in December and I really want to get the best mileage I can.
    sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Technically it will, but it will be such a small difference you'll never notice it. I never noticed any difference on my 87 or old 91 between EGR and no EGR.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Slightly but it shouldn't be 6 mpg. I'd wager the issue is the regulator not regulating. Shoot some WD40 into each passage, and pull the filter out and spray some down there. If that fixes it, the regulator was the issue. I dont know how long a wd40 fix works, but I got a month out of mine before replacing it with a new one. It was still working fine when I replaced it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did try the WD40 in the regulator back before I unhooked the vacuum line , I will grab a regulator from the junk yard when I go .
        sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

hmm... I have recently started having a bucking problem whilst cruising as well. I unhooked the vac line from my egr valve earlier and it went away completely. I also pulled the cap off the solenoid on the passenger fender and pulled out the filter unfortunately it disintegrated in my hand. I cleaned out the area where the filter was and snapped the cover back on. I plan to pull the egr valve tomoro and clean it out. As far as this regulator we are squirting wd-40 into goes are we talking about the solenoid with the filter in it that I had apart or something else?
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

hell... I don't have any of those issues and have never gotten better than 15mpg in normal city driving in my 88. Typically it's more around 13 or 14.

with combined miles, I've gotten 19 and highway only gotten 21.5 once. This is all on E10 gas though. Damn the ethanol!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

if the passages are clogged, it wont make a difference. So many issues with older cars.

The EGR does use the recirculated gasses to burn and use less fuel. That's a really big drop in economy though.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

As crazy as it may sound i seem to be getting better mileage with it unhooked.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

if the egr solenoid is stuck open... that would cause a bunch of running issues as well. unhooking the EGR at that point would make things work better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I know its not stuck open but also do not know if it works. I just know the bucking stumbling feeling while cruising goes away with it unhooked. Im gonna leave it unhooked for a few days and see what happens. If there are no adverse affects im going to say the hell with it. If i have trouble i guess ill have to replace the solenoid, valve, or position sensor. My guess is that the valve prolly needs cleaned out.

Comment

Sure the EGR is the issue?? Temp sensors or IAC???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

put an appropriately sized vacuum line on the EGR valve (the port that the green line was originally on) and run the car. When it's idling, suck on the end of the vac hose like a straw and see if your idle changes
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                          Sure the EGR is the issue?? Temp sensors or IAC???
                          Only happens when egr vacuum line is connected. Also if it were a bad iac why would it be causing trouble while cruising? Wouldnt it only be at idle. This is only happening while cruising at a steady speed.
                          Last edited by mercurygm88; 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Agreed! IAC is an "idle issue" like at a light.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Since all 3 items (egr valve,position sensor,and solenoid) are special order only from all the parts stores near me. Im gonna try cleaning the egr valve and what 1990 ltd said and then go from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X