Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will inoperative EGR adversely effect fuel economy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes it's just broke.

Glad you got it running right.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Glad things are working.

For the most part, functioning EGR will slightly improve part-throttle and light cruising MPG.
      1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
      Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
      Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
      Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

This is a very interesting need. I figure I would want to clean the EGR system. What parts can I clean and where are they???
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Here is small tip for fuel economy. On the distributor cap there is a small black cap. Pull it off. When you pull off the ionized air will escape. This way there will be no crossfire between cylinders. I don't know how much it helps but it makes sense.
          “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by 90ltd View Post
            Here is small tip for fuel economy. On the distributor cap there is a small black cap. Pull it off. When you pull off the ionized air will escape. This way there will be no crossfire between cylinders. I don't know how much it helps but it makes sense.

Interesting tip....hmm but wont it be a risk for moisture to get in?

Any info about cleaning the egr system??? There is a thing that attaches to the TB, looks like a cone. Is that part of the EGR system? Should I spray that with brakecleen???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Disconnected my evr solenoid and can't seem to get more than 12 mpg and i get an idle surge not sure if it's related yet. I'm installing a new one tmrw . Hopefully it runs normal again.
              Last edited by 87stars_stripes; 10-22-2013, 08:23 AM.
              87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
              Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Wheres the EGR Solenoid?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I might have to be cleaning the valve. Where exactly do you srpay that wd40 or brakeleen???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

WD-40 only on the EGR solenoid. trace the vacuum line from the egr valve back to it. there's 3 identical solenoids on the passenger inner fender.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is the egr solenoid the mushroom looking thing>>?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

7 and 8 plug wires cause issues. Best to run #8 around the top of intake/valve cover
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

which one is *8? By the firewall driver side?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

the mushroom shaped thing is the EGR itself, the solenoid is a black plastic thing on the inner fender passenger side.

a one wire space between wires 7 and 8 is plenty. Best to keep them off of engine metal so they don't melt.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                            X