Firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firing

Some days it seems it's easier for me to get fired from my job than it is for my engine to get fired up about anything.

The other night, I had gone to my girlfriend's work to pick her up. The cat had been running for about 10 minutes (i.e. the drive there), then I had shut the engine off and gone in for some chili. The chili was delicious, more or less. Then, about 20 minutes later we walked back out to the car and I tried to start it, but it would not fire.

I had stomped on the gas pedal to set the choke, not realizing the engine was already warm. I suspect I had flooded the engine somehow, because after 5 minutes of crying like a baby, it started up fine.

Then, last night, on the way to work I pushed down on the accelerator and it hesitated.

Could this be a faulty fuel pump giving me grief?

I doubt it's the fuel pump. Our mechanical pumps in carbed cars are generally less finicky than EFI's in-tank electric pumps.

Regarding it flooding: I've done it a couple times. take the lid off the air cleaner, and then slide those black slides on the carb back (the ones that sort of block the throttle bores, they're the 'variable' in variable venturi) and hold them open a bit with something like a popsicle stick or anything else of the right size that won't shed stuff down into the engine. Sit for at least a minute or two with the pedal to the floor, pull the object holding the slides open out, and try starting again. If that doesn't clear it out within about 5 minutes of sitting, I'd begin to suspect a problem beyond flooding.

Need more details as far the hesitation. In general, if the car has been running for more than 5 minute and hesitates noticeably something is wrong beyond the typical variable venturi carb gremlins.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I stepped down on the accelerator, and instead of going faster, the engine acted like it had no fuel for a few seconds. It did it twice.

Comment

Working...
      X