No announcement yet.

Fuel economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got 26 on the highway once. Low and bigger tires. Light wheels.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
      Thanks, 1990LTD! I'll double check those on monday or tuesday for peace of mind-- or a part to correct
      The map sensor I'm assuming should be easy to backprobe, so I can compare my vacuum readings on the gauge to the signal with the car running.
      I'm going ot have to see if my voltmeter does hertz....

Yup, put in a napa premium the other month!

Before that I had something from salvo's-- but it was accurate, too.
      I realize that "NORMAL" isn't very exact, but it always comes to rest in exactly the same spot, and the salvo's one and the napa premium are pretty close to each other.

I drove 150 miles with a stuck-open thermostat (OK, that was the salvo thermostat; but it was accurate until it stuck!), 2 tanks of gas ago. And yeah, it indeed did kill fuel economy. The engine *never* got hot. I got 10mpg that tank.
      I'm attributing my current 12mpg to the fact that the engine isn't getting hot until half way through my short 5 mile commute, and there's nothing really I can do about that. Idling the engine to get it warm is just more wasteful.

Possibly, like a prius (and probably some other cars too), a coolant thermos to keep the coolant hot for the next startup, or an oil pan warmer like some diesel pickups,

I also disabled the thermactor system and the crossover pipe, which is designed to heat up the heads quickly with exhaust gas. The explorer heads I have on now had no provision for the thermactor system.
      I don't know how much that might have helped my cold startup fuel economy. It's irrelevant once the car's hot, though, so if you've got a longer commute, let alone a road trip, its effect would be less and less.

doesn't need to be running, just key on and stick your vacuum pump w. gauge on it.

could get a block heater really easily.
      Last edited by 1990LTD; 10-15-2011, 10:23 AM.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
      X