Fuel System Stalling/Hesitating/WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
    Good luck finding someone that can rebuild a VV correctly. Even 20 years ago that was nearly impossible to find.

Your mechanic won't rethread the pan, he'll just shove an oversize, self tapping drain plug in there. Which could easily rip off the little piece of metal that the plug actually screws into. This is good for the mechanic since he will now get to charge you to replace the oil pan. At least it's a good time to also replace the oil pump. And no offense, it's really quite tough to seize one of these motors. I ran a few with nearly 0 oil pressure HARD for quite some time.
    So, if rethreading the oil pan isn't a good idea, what else is there to repair the problem? Just replace the pan?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_O View Post
      So, if rethreading the oil pan isn't a good idea, what else is there to repair the problem? Just replace the pan?
      That would be your best bet. Especially if the rear main seal is leaking or the oil pan gasket. Pull the engine.

Comment

Alrighty, thank you for the input guys. I will report tomorrow when I take the silly thing in for repair.

Comment

and once again, CHECK THE VACUUM LINES. There are a ton of them on the VV cars, about 2/3 of which aren't actually useful for anything but they have to be in good shape if they are there. Don't have the carb touched unless you're absolutely positive its really the problem. So many other things can cause running problems that are not the carburetor. The carb just usually gets the blame because its a black box of voodoo and its got screws on it that can be turned. Don't turn the screws unless you really know what they do. It usually doesn't do you any favors.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            and once again, CHECK THE VACUUM LINES. There are a ton of them on the VV cars, about 2/3 of which aren't actually useful for anything but they have to be in good shape if they are there. Don't have the carb touched unless you're absolutely positive its really the problem. So many other things can cause running problems that are not the carburetor. The carb just usually gets the blame because its a black box of voodoo and its got screws on it that can be turned. Don't turn the screws unless you really know what they do. It usually doesn't do you any favors.
            Alright, I'll add the vacuum lines to the list of things to (probably) replace.

Comment

Working...
            X