No announcement yet.

Tune-Up Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 is normally in the back of distributor. Rotor rotates counter clockwise.

Comment

Alright, I'll get back out there and try it.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        1 is normally in the back of distributor. Rotor rotates counter clockwise.

15426378 = non-HO

13726548 = HO/351w

in case anyone was confused like me when I first read that
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yep, one at a time, makes it much much harder to mess up. If the rotor did spin the wrong way, well, that would just be bizzare. Its theoretically possible but you'd need a specially made engine with a number of specific parts to make that happen. Even if the motor was a reverse rotation type, the trans just wouldn't work. They never made reverse rotation AODs. Reverse engines are almost exclusively used in boats. I suppose there may be some other application, but I don't know what it is.

These aren't retarded like some engines with aluminum heads or any of that nonsense where theres a serious risk of stripping things or breaking stuff. You might want to put a small daub of antiseize on the threads of the new plugs, just to be safe.
          Last edited by gadget73; 09-11-2011, 06:53 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
            15426378 = non-HO

13726548 = HO/351w

in case anyone was confused like me when I first read that
            What's that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_O View Post
              What's that mean?
              Those are the firing orders for the different versions of the Windsor engine.

The 351 Windsor and the 5.0 high output share the same firing order, the reason escapes me. Likely smoothness or power output. 13726548.

The 5.0 standard output shares the firing order with its older Windsor cousins, the 289/260/221. I don't know about the 255 but probably.

It's the order the cylinders are attached via plug wires to the distributor cap so they fire in the proper sequence and in time. start at 1 (the rotor should be pointing to the #1 cylinder, the first in the left bank) and work counter clockwise. It's kind of a headache to do from scratch so that's why you do them one at a time
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Is backfiring bad? Just wondering.....

Comment

the stock carb often causes little popping hesitations when it's not warmed up. That just means you have to warm it up more in park before driving off. If it's a noisy, concussive "pop" from the intake, yeah that's not right.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Thats the firing order for the LOPO 5.O's (302)

And the firing order for the H.O. 5.O (302) and all 351's.

But if you change one plug wire at a time, the firing order won't be an issue.

Backfiring is not a good thing!!
                      Last edited by mcninetyone; 09-11-2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X