Resolved: Completly dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolved: Completly dead

First... never sell a car to someone you know..

Second. My old Colony Park is dead... no power at all.

Tried jumping it, no luck,

2 hours on the charger nothing so I assumed battery was shot.

Bought a new one and threw it in. Had interior lights when I hoped in.

Hit the key and it tried to start for a second and then nothing. Completely dead again.

It's in a dark garage with no power so I can't see much with my flashlight.

Any thoughts?

Solenoid?

The positive side battery cable looks iffy, but I would think it would at least have some power...

Thanks
    Last edited by 85MercPark; 08-12-2011, 06:30 PM.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

battery cable connection

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

cable terminals are crap. scrape clean and try again... add a terminal shim (solid copper wire is a good one... I used some 12AWG solid from some romex once to get the connection good since the terminal was a little too loose to stay put)... something to make sure it's clean and on tight.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll throw some new cables on it tomorrow.

Thanks
        2000 Grand Marquis LS
        2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
        1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
        Mercury Owners Group member
        Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Had the same symptoms and the cure mentioned.
          Clean everything on the solenoid.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Yeah, I had the same symptoms-- in my case, because I was a damned idiot, and installed all the fusible link hots (that feed everything in the dash?) on the same post AS the starter. Hahahaha.
            Now, of course that's not your problem, but yeah... could be the connection to the starter solenoid, everything else depends on it too.

Dunno if there would have been any sort of surge, that could blow those fusible links, and the "fuses" would just need to be replaced on those few little hots that come off the starter solenoid?
            (just a logical guess-- but no real life experience to base this on)

Comment

could also be loose nuts on the ground cable to the engine block.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Battery connections. These cars are pretty touchy when it come to loose/dirty connections to the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  Battery connections. These cars are pretty touchy when it come to loose/dirty connections to the battery.
                  Very true!
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

If you're going for some new terminals I would get the ones that clamp on with a lever. I have them on my car and I love them. Great for adding things onto the battery or if you work with the electronics much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by eightball200 View Post
                      If you're going for some new terminals I would get the ones that clamp on with a lever. I have them on my car and I love them. Great for adding things onto the battery or if you work with the electronics much at all.
                      My mind is drawing a blank, what?

Comment

like these: http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...tModelId=20246

??

Comment

Can't find them on advance's online store, but they should have them in the same isle where they have the lead ones. Here's a pic of one installed on my battery:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	1265492
                          Kinda corroded because they're really old. Had them on my last car and they got battery acid on them, but still work great. You should have no problem finding them at advance auto. IIRC they come with 3-4 of those copper wire terminals.

Comment

That's what I was looking for, but the bolt things is all I could find.

Comment

Interesting. I guess the bolts accomplish the same thing as these, but I like the ones I got because it was so easy to wire up my amp. Being east to take on and off is just a plus. I guess if you couldn't find these you could get the bolts and a set of these if you wanted: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...A|GRP2005_____

EDIT: I found the exact set I have if anyone wants a set: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=95965_0_0_
                              Last edited by eightball200; 08-01-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X