No announcement yet.

This is a weird 1, similar to Ford Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will look at the starter cable and see. I already changed the grouns...yes..it was greasy and messy, but it got done!
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Good grounds = good! Battery to engine block, and at least one large ground from engine block to frame/body.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Good grounds = good! Battery to engine block, and at least one large ground from engine block to frame/body.
        Woah, woah. I didn not kow there was a cable that went from the engine block to the body? Where is this cable?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

My 79 Continental did this as well. I just dealt with it. I went over all the things you guys explained (battery, alternator, cables, starter all new) and in the summer when the car was hot it always started sluggish. I just figured it was a tired engine (which it was) and was harder to start when hot.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

starter! went thru this last month. look up my post where I mention the symptoms. The solenoid clicks only once. Autozone had the starter. Get lifetime whenever money allows and DO NOT LOSE THE RECIEPT. A month later this past week while having the motor swapped out, the mechanic messed up a thread on the starter. Went to autoZone and got a NEW REPLACEMENT STARTER FOR FREE!!!!
            90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
            90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
            91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
            70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Thread on the starter? As in, where the cable connects? Those are often iffy on reman units.

If planning to spend more than about $50 on a replacement old-style starter, this might be the time to consider getting a '90-up mini starter.

Comment

Ok, I will have to get the starter checked, the guy at advanced auto parts said the computer said the starter was good. I guess computers can be wrong to. The whole thing about the Solenoid clicking once, I don't hear it click. The motor turns when hot....but cranks slllloooowlly. Where is this cable that goes from engine to body/chassis?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

There's a ground that goes to the back of the engine.

Pete
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
                    There's a ground that goes to the back of the engine.

Pete

Where is it in the back of the engine? By the starter? By the tranny? By the heads?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Ach I just checked it and can't recall exactly. On my CFI I'm certain it's near top center rear. Wait a sec, it might not be for that. Boy are you asking the wrong guy :drug:

If you think it might be a problem, run your own ground from the engine to the frame, see if it makes a difference?

Pete
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

it bolts to one of the trans bellhouse bolts, and the other end is near the hinge on the passenger side.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                          Where is this cable that goes from engine to body/chassis?
                          If in doubt, add an extra one, or two, or more. I have a cable going from the front of the engine to the frame on one car and to the body on another car. Hooks right where the negative battery cable attaches. You can get fancy braided ground leads if you feel like it.

That shouldn't have much to do with grounding the starter, though, since the battery cable goes directly to the engine block! I have taken to trying to make sure the starter mating surfaces are good and clean, though, since junk between the starter and engine plate could theoretically mess things up slightly. Last time I had an engine plate out, I gave it a good cleaning too, and made sure the back of the block wasn't too caked up with gunk and paint and stuff.
                          Last edited by 1987cp; 09-29-2011, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X