P-R-N-OD-D-2, should I drive in "D"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P-R-N-OD-D-2, should I drive in "D"?

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but driving around town in D looks expensive (a rebuilt AOD comes to mind). Is everyone sure I should drive in D for the best performance (off the line, around town and leave OD for the highway)? My old '89 TC felt stronger in D than my GM. The TC had the P-R-N-OD-D-2-1 gear selection. My GM is missing 1 if it matters.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

You wont have to worry about a rebuild if you drive in D up to about 50 mph...

That saves on wear on the OD band..

You wont burn any more gas...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I never worry about gas. I take public transportation to work during the week ($16.50 unlimited use, bus and train). The price of gas could have went up to $20/gallon, I'd still drive. (If you want an omelet, you have to break an egg). I also have a gas card and I pay it once a month... . I'm just worried about killing my AOD.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

D is good because is keeps you in the 1st three gears. Fourth is overdrive and is not designed for performance loads. D will only prevent you from going into 4th, it has no side effects or anything like that. Like he said, <50mph and D is fine.

I'n my personal opinion I like cruising in 4th at 40mph though. Nothing like cruising at 1000rpm But when I am hot rodding around I keep it out of OD if possible. My new transmission that is soon to be re-installed in my car has P-R-N-OD-2-1 shift pattern.

Comment

yea, if your engine is in good enough shape to cruise around in od at 40 :P

bastage

hrm, that shick in josh gracins new video is yummy
          GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
          1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
          99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
          03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
          95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

stock shift pattern for all AOD should be P-R-N-OD-D-1 modded ones could be near anything. Never seen an AOD with OD-D-2-1

Under 50, stay in D and you'll be fine. you're actually more likely to cook it driving around in OD at 40 mph than driving in D.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I typed in my gear selection info incorrectly. It should've been P-R-N-OD-D-1 on my GM. My old '89 TC had P-R-N-OD-D-2-1.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Hate to differ, but Towncars do not have P-R-N-OD-D-2-1. They have the same P-R-N-OD-D-1 pattern that every AOD has. The shift selector on the side of the trans physically doesn't have another detent, so it just can't do that. This is somewhat annoying, but really handy if you're gonna drop an AOD in something that used to have a 3 speed auto as it has the same number of clicks.

This is my 86 dash.

And this is an 89.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So if you spend most of your time drivin over 50mph you should do it in Overdrive?

1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX: The Boat
                  My first car.

My CarDomain Site

Comment

Yep.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X