Alternator suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator suggestion

What alternator should I get for my 85 Merc? I will be towing and using an isolator to charge the battery on my camper, (to run the fridge on the way).
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

I found this guy on Ebay, I'm gonna get the 140amp 2G alternator for my car in a bit. I'm prett sure you have the 1G, he has a 100amp 1G alt direct replacement for that. No rewiring needed. Basicaly they rewire the alternator to a higher standered to that it puts out more amps.

Link to the list of all the high output alternators, 100amp 1G, 140amp 2G, 200amp 3G

This should be yours

Link to the 100amp 1G alt.

Comment

1G, 2G?

Are there any mods to the cars wiring?
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

1G, your alternator has an external regulator that is on the fender well.

2G, the alternator has a regulator on it.

85 was the kind witht the external regulator. No there is no rewiring to install the 1G 100amp on your car. Just as there is no rewireing to install the 2G 140amp on mine. It's the stock alternator, only th internals have been changed to produce more.

Comment

you can run the large 100 amp alt too.......need the bracket i think

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks

as soon as my money tree blooms
            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark
              Thanks

as soon as my money tree blooms
              the roots on mine retreated back into the ground and prob won't be seen for awhile
              Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

They make one-wire internally regulated alternators too. Those things are really nice. Actually its even possible to replace an externally regulated system eith an internally regulated one. THis is a link about doing it to a Mark 7, but the concept should be the same. http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article81.html

Blaze: you can get an internally regulated 130 amp 3g that bolts right into the stock location and works with very minimal wiring mods. I used a 95 Mustang GT alternator and it works rather well.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know about the 3G, I just redid my wires though, I'm not in the mood to do it again. Also, I'm not very hip on the idea of a used alternator going in there. I have had them dies on me before so I want to go with new one, and the 140amp 2G is cheaper.

Comment

I'm updating mine as well. I've got the alt of a 90 town car. I'm gonna have it rebuilt locally to put out 140 amp. So far the parts I've gathered for the vic are, Cragar SS wheels, radiator, alternator, headers, 90 302 shortblock, aluminum finned valve covers, chrome air cleaner, tranny kickdown cable, core support braces. Now I need to start puting this shit together. This was all going to be trash, but you know what they say about one mans trash.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Only problem with feeding 140 amps through that stock wiring harness is the plug and those wires are awfully thin. I had my harness melt with a 65 amp alt, I'd be scared to try with a 140. Another thing, most of those modded high output alts only crank the juice at higher RPM. At idle they are usually worse than stock.

I agree, no used alternators. Mine was a brand new 95 'stang unit. Not the cheapest but it works, and I can get one a lot easier than a custom job if it blows up.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, mine is originaly a 65amp setup, plus I just redid most of the wires to it anyways.

Comment

Working...
                        X