Just installed a Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed a Tach

I have a few questions about the tach... Whats should i set the red line too? On my Tach it has a lil red arrow which can be set to diffrent RPMs It was set to 5000 RPM. Is that right for my car and if not where should i set it at..Also what is the red line for?

The Best
    Past and Present Any Questions...................

My computer always limited my car to about 5000 rpm. So that should be about right.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Stock governor won't let you run higher than 4200, an HO governor would be a little more, and the engine could handle a little more than that even.

Comment

Id put it at whatever RPM your trans shifts at when you are gettin on it.
        That way you will notice if that ever changes, indicating possible transmission trouble.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

looks good mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

My sunpro tach has that adjustable line too. I just move it out of the way, but i guess its just supposed to show you where the "redline" is for your engine. You cant reachit anyways with your trans, so dont worry about what its set at

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Its more useful in a manual trans car to indicate shift points. With an auto, it doesn't matter a lot unless you're manually shifting it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

got mine in the truck set to 5200, even though that engine will spin 6200 before ignition cuts off
                GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Ok thanks for the info guys i just learned a lil something.
                  The Best
                  Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Originally posted by Stu
                    Stock governor won't let you run higher than 4200, an HO governor would be a little more, and the engine could handle a little more than that even.

You CAN manually shift....That being said, the stock motor doesn't really do much over 4500 anyway. Just take it out and run it up in first to see where it stops pulling and set the redline there. And a stock motor with an HO governor is a bad idea. Also, I think the limiting factor on the stock motor is the cam and valvesprings, not the ECM. Fuel cutoff on most of the 5.0's is 6250.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I had a wide ratio trans and ho governor on a stock bottom end :banana:

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I found the limit of my engine as far as RPM power the other day. It got there fast and then just stopped eccelerating. 115mph in 3rd @ about 5100rpm. Since I can't get the tranny to stay in OD at WOT I'm having a bit of a problem. If I let off to 3/4 throttle is will shift into OD and continue up beyond. Yes, in OD 3/4 and it accelerates, I was very shocked. But I don't know the limit, because at 125mph I ran out of road. One thing worries me though, at 125mph if I push it the rest of the way down, will it downshift into 3rd? That prolly wouldn't be a good thing if it did that above 125mph, because then we're talking about 5500+rpms.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                          I found the limit of my engine as far as RPM power the other day. It got there fast and then just stopped eccelerating. 115mph in 3rd @ about 5100rpm. Since I can't get the tranny to stay in OD at WOT I'm having a bit of a problem. If I let off to 3/4 throttle is will shift into OD and continue up beyond. Yes, in OD 3/4 and it accelerates, I was very shocked. But I don't know the limit, because at 125mph I ran out of road. One thing worries me though, at 125mph if I push it the rest of the way down, will it downshift into 3rd? That prolly wouldn't be a good thing if it did that above 125mph, because then we're talking about 5500+rpms.

Found that out myself 5 years ago.

Phayzer, I was running 14's on a stock 250K mile bottom end...the top end is what counts
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

i love havin a 3-speed, its like having a semi-auto trans, jus not

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

my car screams in agony at 3500 rpm... I really got to take a ride in the Blaze Vic
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X