Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what color smoke?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

looks black, definitely not blue or white
      1991 Mustang GT stock 5.0 HO. dual flows. daily driver

Comment

Yup that's a rich mixture. Probably stinks pretty good too.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

i haven't really noticed a smell, but i'm probably used to it by now. It's definitely a rich mixture, you can tell where the car was running because it leave two black circles on the ground under the tailpipes lol.

so I'm thinking of getting a new Map sensor and both o2 sensors and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by '91stangGT View Post
            i haven't really noticed a smell, but i'm probably used to it by now. It's definitely a rich mixture, you can tell where the car was running because it leave two black circles on the ground under the tailpipes lol.

so I'm thinking of getting a new Map sensor and both o2 sensors and see what happens.
            arent the black spots below the tailpipes a sign of blow by?
            Last edited by rick99601; 10-11-2010, 05:42 PM.
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

black = carbon = rich mixture. Blue-grey smoke is oil, possibly indicating blowby. It might go along with a greasy film in the tailpipe if its extremely bad.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                arent the black spots below the tailpipes a sign of blow by?

EDIT: d'oh, I saw you say "below" the tailpipes. Didn't know the stuff was dripping down out of it. Forget I said anything.
                Last edited by 1990LTD; 10-11-2010, 05:46 PM.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

just pulled the codes again. I brought it up to temp this time.

I did notice the smell of gas lol, but the smoke has disappeared... at least for now. I also noticed it takes a while for the idle to drop down. it idles at 1k when it settles down
                  Last edited by '91stangGT; 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

just to confirm here, what ECM program code are you using? If its an A9*, then it definitely sounds like the BAP shit itself. Otherwise it sounds like a speed-density brain with a bad or unhooked MAP. Same sensor, just does a different job depending on management. 'course if it is an SD brain, that isn't the right thing for a 91 Mustang.

Comment

A9L with mass air

Comment

are the map and barometric pressure sensors interchangeable? It would be nice as there is a $30 price difference...

Comment

are the map and barometric pressure sensors interchangeable? It would be nice as there is a $30 price difference...
                          They are the same sensors. No difference.

Comment

thought so, I don't see how a cap over the port for the vac line justifies a $30 price difference. i'll order this up and a few other things and let you guys know this weekend what's up.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

ok guys. I just put in a new Map sensor, ECT sensor and sender. Idiot lamp is no longer lit up. I grabbed the codes again and I got 21,33,41,81,87. I replaced the ECT thats on the passenger side of the engine, not the one tucked under the intake. Saturday I'm going to do an oil change and replace the oxygen sensors, I would do it tomorrow but I guess there's a wicked storm coming tonight.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone!

Comment

ok guys. I just put in a new Map sensor, ECT sensor and sender. Idiot lamp is no longer lit up. I grabbed the codes again and I got 21,33,41,81,87. I replaced the ECT thats on the passenger side of the engine, not the one tucked under the intake. Saturday I'm going to do an oil change and replace the oxygen sensors, I would do it tomorrow but I guess there's a wicked storm coming tonight.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone!
                                You gotta have the engine at operating temp, otherwise you'll get code 21. 33 you have no egr. 41, 81 are lean codes (it wouldn't hurt to replace the o2 sensors). 87 is a fuel pump monitor code. Replace your pump relay. You need to drive the car.
                                Last edited by 86VickyLX; 10-14-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X