Engine light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine light?

Had something weird happen yesterday while I was driving. Got the car running pretty good now. Still have an occasional stall when coming to a stop. Anyway,was driving,then I saw the engine light flicker on and off. This ever happen to anyone before? It never came on and stayed on. Went out and that was it. My belt has been squeaking pretty loud lately when I start the can and sometimes when I make a turn. Any idea why this happens? Once the car warms up,it does not squeak. Thanks for the info. Slowly getting this thing running better. John

what year of car is this?

On boxes up to 89 (or 88?) the engine light ONLY comes on for low oil pressure or high coolant temperature. On 90 and newer cars, an intermittent engine light can mean a bunch of things, and you'll have to pull codes to track it down in most cases.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Sorry about that,it is a 1986 with the 5.0L

Comment

so the red light. The red engine lamp comes on when the engine is overheating, or you have almost zero oil pressure. The engine idling way low or about to stall could be enough to drop the oil pressure. If it wasn't stalling, and the light was blinking it probably means the oil pressure is low. If you aren't low on oil, likely the bearings are worn out and the motor is tired. Not much to do about it but keep driving.

squeaking could be a belt issue, either loose or worn out,.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Happened when I was driving. Doing about 45. Went out,has not been on since. Thanks for the help

Comment

Check the wiring and make sure that the wires aren't intermittently contacting ground. You got the red light of death. I'd recommend you get some gauges.

Comment

Happened when I was driving. Doing about 45. Went out,has not been on since. Thanks for the help
              Probably dancing on the high side of temperature. Check the condition of your rad and your fan clutch.

Alex.

Comment

What do I need to do to check the fan clutch?

Comment

have someone shut the engine off while you watch the fan. If it makes more than about a half turn after the motor stops, the clutch is shot. When they get really toast, the fan makes several rotations after the motor stops.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok.thanks alot for the info. How much do these run? I let you know how things turn out.

Comment

lol, my fan on the lincoln will spin several rotations after the engine is shut off

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Fan clutches are around $40.

Alex.

Comment

this is with the engine at operating temp. It should freewheel pretty well when cold.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah i forgot to add that. The clutch is thermostatic so it shouldn't grab too much when cold. You have to test it with the engine warmed up for any sort of useful results.

Comment

Dont stick your hands in the fan while the car is running though.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X