HO Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HO Cam

What cars/trucks came with the HO cam I can use for the HO conversion? The local yard has a 1986 Mustang, but CoolCats.Net said the 86 was to worst to cam to use. The yard in Brimingham has one 89 Mustang. But I don't want to drive two hours to find out the motor or cam is already removed.

I know about the Mark VII's, but for some reason they are not listed on the Pull-a-part web site. So, what other vehicles can I find a cam to use?

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

Yeah, 86 HO cams are the worst from what I heard....

Supposedly they have the firing order of a HO, and the specs of a lopo cam. I can't confirm that's true though.

87+ is what you want.
    '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
    Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
    CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

Check the corral and other mustang forums. They practically give them away.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

HO thunderbirds
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

the 86 HO cam is fine. Its the heads that were crap in 86.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
            Check the corral and other mustang forums. They practically give them away.
            This.

No labor involved, and would be cheaper after gas and all.
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              intake and tb were also small
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                I was going to say, the cam was the same from '85 through '88, with the dual-pattern cam getting an E8 part number IIRC and coming out in '89.

What's this about small intake and TB? Aren't all 5.0 Mustang intakes and TBs quite small?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

86 had like a 55mm vs the 60 on later years. The upper intake was the same as the lopo intake. It was just not as free flowing a motor.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting, did not know that.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

FYI 88-89 for some reason where the best years for the HO dont know why but thats what ive been told.
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

87 is supposed to be the hottest ho cam......heck i dunno
                        heres a list
                        86-93 mustang
                        86-92 mk7 lsc careful the 86-87 base and bill blass is a lopo
                        88-92 mk7 bill blass
                        91-93 thunderbird/cougar

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

My '87 LX Stang always ran well. The '86 MK VII engine in the GM CP pulls hard on the highway, kind of sluggish from a roll though....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Thanks for the info! OK...I'm an id10t...! I cannot seem to register for the Corral site. I type in the security answer and I get rejected every time... the question is:

Type the model of car this website is about in the following box..

I've tried:
                            Corral
                            corral
                            Mustang
                            mustang
                            Late Model
                            Late Model Mustang
                            Cobra

Nothing works...so here it is.. I'm and idiot! Has anyone else joined this forum? What am I doing wrong?

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                            George Burns

Comment

try ford mustang

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X